FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

dual OS windows vista and xp

internetjobs
i have windows vista in my laptop.. any one tell me how to install windows xp as additional os.?.. i want both the operation systems. but i dont like to remove vista for xp installation..
i heard that if we have xp then it is easy to install vista..
rohan2kool
all you need to do is put in the windows XP cd and then follow the setup instructions. When it asks you to select a partition, select a partition other than the one you have Windows Vista installed in. If you are not familiar with installing operating systems, and this would be the first time you are doing it, I would strongly suggest that you ask some person who is experienced with this stuff. Or if you still want to experiment, make sure to take a backup of all the stuff that is important and well.. try and use genuine software.
Fire Boar
It's very tricky to install XP after Vista in dual-boot because XP tries to install its boot loader which doesn't seem able to recognise Vista's. Generally you'll want to back up your master boot record and then recover it later.
moofang
Or you could run xp in a virtual machine inside vista. You'll probably need a pretty darn fast computer tho Wink
Studio Madcrow
moofang wrote:
Or you could run xp in a virtual machine inside vista. You'll probably need a pretty darn fast computer tho Wink

Thatb would make it impossible to play games in XP...

Personally, I'ld look into using a universal boot manager like GRUB or something if I wanted to run multiple versions of Windows at the same time. It would certainly be less painful than using any official Microsoft stuff.
Fire Boar
@Studio Madcrow: That's a great idea.
MiCKi
it'll easiest to format entire hard disk and use Linux instead Wink
Diablosblizz
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_and_xp_with_vista_installed_first__the_stepbystep_guide.htm

Simple enough. Follow through the instructions and you'll be fine. Worked fine for me. It also shows a program to use and explains how to get back Vista's bootloader, while maintaining Xp's.
weableandbob
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdI8_92QTkQ

That should be helpful as well.
snowynight
moofang wrote:

The virtual pc cannot support modern graphic cards.
So that's not practical.
But i think a better to install xp and then repair you boot loader files.
Fire Boar
Who said anything about using Virtual PC? VirtualBox and VMWare are both much better choices and fully support almost all graphics cards, old and new.