FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Firefox using IE render Engine

Flakky
The IE Tab Extension allows users to switch from Firefox rendering to IE rendering allowing you to preview your site for both browsers while you still use Firefox.

Has anybody else heard of this before or is this old news?
Blissgene
Kind of old. And the IE tab plug-in may already have evolved to version 2 or 3.
pedepy
if you wanna know how your site looks in IE you could use IE4LINUX if you're developing under linux or better yet, but kinda slow these days, is browser-shots.org.

You can get screenshots of how your site looks from a number of popular and deprecated (IE6 comes to mind ;P ) browsers. It takes a number of minutes, depending on load, I assume.

Downside is you have to have something to serve browser-shots.org, so if you only have files locally, it wont work for you. (it usually doesnt work from internet cafes either, for obvious reasons.. i tried.)
pedepy
if you wanna know how your site looks in IE you could use IE4LINUX if you're developing under linux or better yet, but kinda slow these days, is browser-shots.org.

You can get screenshots of how your site looks from a number of popular and deprecated (IE6 comes to mind ;P ) browsers. It takes a number of minutes, depending on load, I assume.

Downside is you have to have something to serve browser-shots.org, so if you only have files locally, it wont work for you. (it usually doesnt work from internet cafes either, for obvious reasons.. i tried.)
Star Wars Fanatic
Flakky wrote:
The IE Tab Extension allows users to switch from Firefox rendering to IE rendering allowing you to preview your site for both browsers while you still use Firefox.

Yea, it's old news, and the tab is almost useless, the only way to run it is on Windows, and as you already have access to IE, it's easier to load up the real thing. What would be useful is if it ran on Mac.

Another useful product is MultipleIEs, it allows you to install several different versions of IE on XP, useful for if you need to test a template in both IE 6 & 7.
Here's a link: http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE
eday2010
Star Wars Fanatic wrote:
Flakky wrote:

Yea, it's old news, and the tab is almost useless, the only way to run it is on Windows, and as you already have access to IE, it's easier to load up the real thing

Not true. It's very useful. You only need one browser open instead of two. That alone makes it very useful.