FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Sins of a Solar Empire

Cove
I'm about to buy this game but want to make sure it's what I'm looking for. I'm into the vast rts's (which is why I chose this one) and am looking for sci fi genre. Can anyone who has this game and played it tell me what they liked and didn't like about it?
QrafTee
You'll love it. It's vast... and I mean gigantic. One solar system can be filled with around 10+ planets to explore, conquer, reclaim, etc. and on large battles, there can be many solar systems.

Battles are also on a large scale; luckily the AI is smart so you don't need to micromanage everything--it's almost impossible to during a battle. Just know when to pull out, press on, and reinforce your fleet.

Sci-fi... epic, yes. The graphics are amazing, with a good GPU, you can zoom in and see the details of the battle or zoom out to see the overall chaos of your fleet fighting against another.

The downside is that the game itself has no campaign or storyline, it's just a large skirmish game. There is supposed to be an expansion which will feature campaigns for the game, but I don't know when that is supposed to be out.
Cove
I just played my first actual game last night. I absolutely love it. I'm going on a little over 3 hours and I'm don't think I'm even close to finishing. It actually runs really well on my computer, which I'm surprised. I'm on a Macbook running sins through boot camped windows. Even on low everything still looks pretty good Smile
Starrfoxx
How does this game compare to Imperium Galactica II? I still have this game and really love it. Sins looks great, though, and I respect the company Stardock and how they are treating customers the right way.
bogger
rawr, it's fricking AWESOME Very Happy

Downloading demo now cos it looks roxx0r

IGII, while good, is rather outdated Razz
Cove
It is ridiculously amazing. It's exactly my type of game. It's really cool how you can be having tons of battles all over the solar system type thing. The scale is just ridiculous. I think the diplomacy could use a little bit more work as it's not entirely necessary. Then again, it has some real world comparison ;P

I haven't gotten the online to work yet though for some reason. I click log in and then nothing happens. Anyone have this problem?

Also, the basic logistics tutorial has a little bit of a bug. After I build the gauss cannon, nothing happens.
QrafTee
Cove wrote:
It is ridiculously amazing. It's exactly my type of game. It's really cool how you can be having tons of battles all over the solar system type thing. The scale is just ridiculous. I think the diplomacy could use a little bit more work as it's not entirely necessary. Then again, it has some real world comparison ;P

I haven't gotten the online to work yet though for some reason. I click log in and then nothing happens. Anyone have this problem?

Also, the basic logistics tutorial has a little bit of a bug. After I build the gauss cannon, nothing happens.

You can lock teams to disable diplomacy altogether.
achowles
Well, it's definitely got both "vast" and "sci-fi" nailed. No worries there. There's a demo you can download, but I think you're going to need broadband for that as it's not small.

It won game of the year awards so it's definitely a great game. Although I've yet to buy the full thing myself too.
Cove
Now that I've had this game for a while, and have been able to play, I'd have to say it is ridiculously great.
My friend and I have gotten some massive games together and played them and they have lasted a long time. Definitely not lack of things to do with the larger games Smile