FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Skype incompatibility

Tony The Tiger
Skype screwed up my Windows Vista Home Premium laptop for several weeks. I installed it about two months ago and have had bad problems ever since. It caused both Microsoft Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox to perform very slowly and to crash. It also caused my secondary internal hard drive to appear to have 12 bad sectors. I swapped out the secondary internal hard drive and the problems returned. I then reformatted and reimaged my primary hard drive. However, once I reinstalled Skype all the performance problems resumed. Why would this occur?
surdy
I have skype intalled on my Windows Vista Home Premium laptop for 18 months now. I didn't face any problems like these. It works perfectly fine for me. Also I use it very often so its not a case that I may not have noticed as I use it sparingly.
Are you sure the problem is being caused by skype and no other software, which you would have installed around the same time as skype. Make sure you download the Setup file for skype from a trusted source and not from some third party site. Also make sure to update your antivirus and see if some spurious applications are doing some strange activity on your computer.
Tony The Tiger
surdy wrote:
I have skype intalled on my Windows Vista Home Premium laptop for 18 months now. I didn't face any problems like these. It works perfectly fine for me. Also I use it very often so its not a case that I may not have noticed as I use it sparingly.
Are you sure the problem is being caused by skype and no other software, which you would have installed around the same time as skype. Make sure you download the Setup file for skype from a trusted source and not from some third party site. Also make sure to update your antivirus and see if some spurious applications are doing some strange activity on your computer.

After two months of checking all kinds of other possibilities all my computer problems were resolved by unistalling Skype. I don't know what else to say.
surdy
Tony The Tiger wrote:

After two months of checking all kinds of other possibilities all my computer problems were resolved by unistalling Skype. I don't know what else to say.

Well this does suggest it has something to do with skype ...i hope you downloaded an authentic version of skype ....and not from some untrusted source.

Mine is still working fine on HP Dv6500 laptop with Windows Vista home premium ...i guess you have the same
Tony The Tiger
surdy wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:

Well this does suggest it has something to do with skype ...i hope you downloaded an authentic version of skype ....and not from some untrusted source.

Mine is still working fine on HP Dv6500 laptop with Windows Vista home premium ...i guess you have the same

Yes I downloaded an authentic version. I have been told that it must be incompatible with some other software that I have installed.
surdy
Tony The Tiger wrote:

Yes I downloaded an authentic version. I have been told that it must be incompatible with some other software that I have installed.

well I didn't get warning like this when i installed it . This would be then because of some other software interfering with skype.

I'm sorry can't be much of a help here.
Tony The Tiger
surdy wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:

well I didn't get warning like this when i installed it . This would be then because of some other software interfering with skype.

I'm sorry can't be much of a help here.

I was hoping someone else had heard of this problem and knew of possible types of incompatible software so I could see if I would rather remove the other software than Skype.