FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Time

StiKKaH
There is 23 hours and 56 minutes in a day, so why don't our clocks hold us back in time over a couple months or so?

Shouldn't we be four more minutes behind everyday?
gugusm
That's why you change time zones in some countries and there's a leap year once in a four years Wink
_AVG_
I think that the revolution of the earth also counteracts this -minute defect as the sun sets earlier everyday. Thus, even though our clocks have a 4-minute defect, if they possibly didn't, the sunrise and sunset times would have been less uniform. I think that in four years, the net time defect adds up to one day, so, resultantly, we have a leap year.

I'm not sure about all this ... Rolling Eyes
erlendhg
StiKKaH wrote:
There is 23 hours and 56 minutes in a day, so why don't our clocks hold us back in time over a couple months or so?

Shouldn't we be four more minutes behind everyday?

Is it really so? Can that actually be measured accurately? And has it really been measured accurately?
ptfrances
I didn't knew that. Really interesting
chatrack
In english calenter this time lag is adjusted by 1 day addition in every 4th year.
tony
There is in addition to the leap year/day, a leap second. Has anyone heard of it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_second

I find that very interesting stuff.
missdixy
tony wrote:
There is in addition to the leap year/day, a leap second. Has anyone heard of it?

Huh, I'd never heard of that! Pretty interesting.
Arty
Time is so confusing...

I don't see why people need to constantly change time due to the position of the Earth...
such as DTS, which only some parts of the world use, and leap years, and now leap seconds =P
_AVG_
Arty wrote:
Time is so confusing...

I don't see why people need to constantly change time due to the position of the Earth...
such as DTS, which only some parts of the world use, and leap years, and now leap seconds =P

Did you mean DST (Daylight Saving Time) ?
Yes. I never actually understand how that works. What is the use?
polly-gone
Leap year fixes this. That extra four minutes eventually adds up to being 6 hours behind each year, so every four years, we have leap year which corrects it and sets us back to being the exact time.

-Nick Smile Smile Smile
Afaceinthematrix
tony wrote:

I knew about that. My father is in the GPS industry so he knows a thing or two about those types of things.
erlendhg
tony wrote:

Some have already said it, but yes, it is really interesting. And perhaps a bit annoying too.

What annoys me the most, is that we haven't learned about this in school. Thanks for sharing.
standready
Does anybody really know what time it is? Who cares? The seconds just tick away anyway never to be captured again. Life is too short to worry about.
DinoBob
Arty wrote:
Time is so confusing...

Yeah, but this stuff is insane sometimes. I still haven't fixed all my clocks or forum accounts' time-settings yet from a few weeks ago.

I have a contact I speak to everyday in Australia.. Just when I had it down pat to just add 12 hours and round it down, the times switched and now it's +14. (Nope, I'm just really not good at keeping track.) >< Apparently timezones are actually a real problem down there, and they've been trying out Daylight saving time.. I dare anyone to read through this article (the contemporary parts, mostly) and not go insane. o_O

standready wrote:
Does anybody really know what time it is? Who cares? The seconds just tick away anyway never to be captured again. Life is too short to worry about.

You say that now! But just think about how nifty it is to know exactly when to show up for a date, and what the consequence might be for then not showing up on time. Laughing

Ok, light humor. But that comment isn't practical either. Wink
Vladalf
Thanks for sharing this!
Vladalf
ftv_flung
Horizion (in the UK) recently did a documentary about Time which is relevant to this. They talk about how a day isn't exactly 24 hours and how the time lost/gained adds up...

Here's a link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00fyl5z/Horizon_Do_You_Know_What_Time_It_Is/
Tphilakone
It cause some year there is 29 days on february and next 4 year its 28 days on february
pashmina
there is a leap year which adds up to one whole day.
I have a friend who was born on leap year and he is only 5 years old now LOL!! Razz