FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which platform one is the Best and has a good future ?

Which platform one is the Best and has a good future ?
Java platform
87%
 87%  [ 14 ]
.NET(Dot Net) Platform
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 16

cyberbuddy
which is the best platform for programming according to u .your vote should be on the basis of future of programming requirements

thank u
LukeakaDanish
Java.

Reason:

.NET means coding for microsoft computers only - with both Mac OSX and various flavours of linux on the rise Java is a very easy way to target all platforms at once.

If you start a big .NET project now, and 5 years down the line windows only has about 50% of your potential userbase, then you'll very much regret your choice I think Smile
leontius
LukeakaDanish wrote:
Java.

Reason:

.NET means coding for microsoft computers only - with both Mac OSX and various flavours of linux on the rise Java is a very easy way to target all platforms at once.

Wrong. There is a .NET VM implementation for Linux, MacOS etc. called Mono which enables .NET programs to run cross-platform. Perhaps it is not as perfect as the one in Windows, but you know it is doable. But then, I also doubt the future of .NET. Its key strengths (from a novice's pov) are good IDE and cross-language support.

Good IDEs: Java has Eclipse and Netbeans, C/C++ has a lot. Dynamic languages such as Python, Ruby, PHP etc. survive and flourish without a major outstanding IDE.
Cross-language support: seriously, it is a lot better if the team can decide on whether to use C# or VB.NET rather than use both! Also other languages can certainly do this via various wrappers. I don't think it is that important (I mean, have you ever found yourself wanting to use a Ruby class from Python?).

Maybe Silverlight can make things better but who knows what will be the successor of flash - is it Silverlight? Adobe AIR? XUL? Java applet? Javascript + Google Gears?

Quote:

If you start a big .NET project now, and 5 years down the line windows only has about 50% of your potential userbase, then you'll very much regret your choice I think Smile

No need to worry about that - Vista comes packaged with some versions of the .NET framework. And I doubt windows marketshare will dwindle that fast Wink
Faraz
I voted for Java. The reason is the same as LukeakaDanish. Plus I simply hate Microsoft and their products.
LukeakaDanish
leontius wrote:
Wrong. There is a .NET VM implementation for Linux, MacOS etc. called Mono which enables .NET programs to run cross-platform. Perhaps it is not as perfect as the one in Windows, but you know it is doable.

If you code something in .NET with the intention of it being used with mono...well lets just say it'll be about as hard as making a website work with with firefox (css standard - in this case like .net) and IE6 (sub-optimal implementation - in this case like mono). That will make coding slower and more tedious.

Instead, Java automatically fits all three platforms. Yay for that.

Quote:
Maybe Silverlight can make things better but who knows what will be the successor of flash - is it Silverlight? Adobe AIR? XUL? Java applet? Javascript + Google Gears?

I doubt anything will succeed flash - perhaps with the exception of really fast javascript execution (as we see in chrome and firefox nightly atm) and canvas / svg support in all mayor browser. But with microsoft still controlling the marketshare, we are at the mercy of them bothering to fix their laggy browser.

And even if they do, from a dev. perspective it is easier to work in flash cs3 (or whatever it is called) than to just write javascript code...

Quote:
No need to worry about that - Vista comes packaged with some versions of the .NET framework. And I doubt windows marketshare will dwindle that fast Wink

I know microsoft will continue to have the largest marketshare overall...I didn't intend to question that.

But if your userbase is university math students perhaps 5 years down the line linux will be the thing to use. Or if your userbase is art-mayor students perhaps mac will be. You never know. And thats why its clever to choose a truly cross platform language.

Smile

On a side note I hope microsoft has a 0% overall marketshare in 2013 Razz
leontius
Quote:
If you code something in .NET with the intention of it being used with mono...well lets just say it'll be about as hard as making a website work with with firefox (css standard - in this case like .net) and IE6 (sub-optimal implementation - in this case like mono). That will make coding slower and more tedious.

Instead, Java automatically fits all three platforms. Yay for that.

You are right Smile Come to think of it, the world would be a better place if everybody uses the same VM...

Quote:
I doubt anything will succeed flash - perhaps with the exception of really fast javascript execution (as we see in chrome and firefox nightly atm) and canvas / svg support in all mayor browser. But with microsoft still controlling the marketshare, we are at the mercy of them bothering to fix their laggy browser.

And even if they do, from a dev. perspective it is easier to work in flash cs3 (or whatever it is called) than to just write javascript code...

Microsoft Expression http://www.microsoft.com/expression/ ? (a program that nobody uses...)

Quote:
On a side note I hope microsoft has a 0% overall marketshare in 2013 Razz

Same hope here Smile
toxictux
i wouldn't count python out. with google 100% behind python and all other startups using it, it is soon going to be a big deal. .Net will always have a piece of the market as microsoft will have OS supporting it but dont know about Java. unless sun does something drastic with java, it is going to fade soon. in my opinion Python has the best future and present.
leontius
toxictux wrote:
i wouldn't count python out. with google 100% behind python and all other startups using it, it is soon going to be a big deal. .Net will always have a piece of the market as microsoft will have OS supporting it but dont know about Java. unless sun does something drastic with java, it is going to fade soon. in my opinion Python has the best future and present.

Hey I found a nice thing called pyjamas http://pyjs.org . Basically it fuses development of web application and desktop application - both of them can be made from the same code base! The idea is to use python for your code and pass it to a python-to-javascript translator.

The concept is identical to that of GWT (Google Web Toolkit) but uses Python instead of Java. Which one is better I don't know, but GWT is obviously more mature than pyjamas and supported by Google (!).
umeshtangnu
voted for .net platform because of its easy learning curve
Fire Boar
Out of the two, it's got to be Java. .net simply does not work outside of a Microsoft platform. Also, Mono could be shut down at Microsoft's whim - it's a way of poisoning the market. Pretend to embrace the opposition, then when your format has achieved dominance, suddenly make it impossible to use it on anything but your own platform, forcing people to switch to Windows.
BlueVD
Voted for java... Why? It runs on: mobile phones; embedded devices; mp3 players; part of the Solaris OS; runs on Mac's, Intel, Power PC, whether it is Linux, Unix or Windows.
As for the .Niet... I'd like to see Microsoft squeeze the .Net 2.2 framework into a mobile phone that would be considered midrange. And achieve as much as Java has right now.
And yeah, I hate MS. It started out .Net not because there was a dire need for it, but just to "invent" a new proprietary system that is closed source and unavailable for open source communities. And I hope they (M$) choke on it (.Niet).
PS: mono does do a good job at it for linux imho
rockacola
If you are looking for answers that help you decide whether you would like to start learning .NET or JAVA first... I would say .NET providing it's shallower learning curve and more career opportunities.

And in the end, you will want to learn and adopt both platforms Evil or Very Mad
Fire Boar
rockacola wrote:
And in the end, you will want to learn and adopt both platforms Evil or Very Mad

I disagree - .NET can be either useful or utterly useless depending on what you're doing. I personally wouldn't ever want to adopt it.
albuferque
I don't understand, in computing, a platform describes some sort of hardware architecture or software framework (including application frameworks), that allows software to run.

If you're talking about frameworks, then my personal prediction will go for: RoR (Ruby on Rails).

Rails provides scaffolding which can automatically construct some of the models and views needed for a basic application.

Ruby is so versatile that can run in embedded devices via RVM(Ruby virtual Machine) and Compressed Ruby.

Check out these videos:

RoR versus .NET
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=528BCJiRkks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z99EHyG2jQA

RoR versus Java

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQbuyKUaKFo
dimedrol-tab
All I know, java classes you can run in many operating systems without recomplilation and it is considerable plus!