FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hillary as Sec. of State

jmi256
I'm just wondering what everyone's opinions are concerning Obama selecting Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State. I know there's an international presence here, so it would be interesting to get your thoughts.

Here are my initial opinions:

Cons
1. Her focus/strength is in domestic affairs, not foreign affairs. Even her own website touts her experience in domestic areas, such as government-controlled medicine. So having her as the Secretary of State seems like a bad decision to me on this account.

2. Trust. One of the main criticisms of Clinton has been the trust factor. I remember during the primary elections that distrust of Hillary was one of the factors that led Democrats to vote against her, and is also what concerned many conservatives about her. Even Obama made a slight change to his "tagline" during the primary run once it was narrowed down to Clinton and him. He went from "Change" to "Change you can believe in" to underscore her untrustworthy nature. I'm not sure the international community feels any differently. How would a leader of another country feel negotiating with someone he can't trust?

Pros
Mostly these are political.
1. This gets Hillary out of Obama's hair for a few years. She really can't act as a thorn in his side with criticisms of any of his policies if she's part of the team. On the other hand, if he screws this up, he can blame her.

2. Obviously the mantra of "no experience" hasn't resonated well with some voters, so the selection of someone with no experience for this post may go down easier than some would like.

3. If some people are expecting that Obama doesn't live up to the hype, they may be expecting a primary challenge in 2012. By taking on the Sec of State position, Hillary shores up a major hole in her resume/experience: Foreign affairs. This will better position her for a future run.
[/list]
Moonspider
jmi256 wrote:
On the other hand, if he screws this up, he can blame her.

No, he can't. A leader can delegate responsibility, but not accountability.

Respectfully,
M
Bikerman
Moonspider wrote:
jmi256 wrote:
On the other hand, if he screws this up, he can blame her.

No, he can't. A leader can delegate responsibility, but not accountability.

Respectfully,
M

LOL...tell that to Rumsfeld Smile
handfleisch
PRO She has the credentials, "gravitas" and would bring in the Clinton touch after years of disastrous foreign policy.

CON She is somewhat tarnished for having voted for the invasion of Iraq. But with Obama setting the agenda maybe that wouldn't matter.
deanhills
I wish it could be someone completely different for Secretary of State. Someone fresh with no political baggage. Think Hillary has been overexposed in her election campaign. Perhaps she could receive a posting as an ambassador somewhere nice and out of the way. Perhaps Russia? Smile
mathiaus
deanhills wrote:
Think Hillary has been overexposed in her election campaign.

You are completely right. I'd be scared of her going back to the US after visiting the UK and saying that she ran off the plane under gunfire with no welcoming ceremony etc Razz

People tend not to trust those that over exaggerate but they definitely don't trust those who downright lie!
lyndonray
For me its a simple and clever political move: really bring the democrats together, especially for 2012. With Hillary a firm member of the administration there will be no potential for rifts. Hillary is also well known and generally liked around the world, so that is advantageous. Obama realises how screwed up America's image is abroad. With Hillary as Secretary of State, that goes a long way in restoring a lot of that confidence and respect that Dubya somehow found a way of shredding!!!

Besides, that's the closest Hillary will get to the White House. I don't see her running in 2016!!!
Moonspider
lyndonray wrote:
Besides, that's the closest Hillary will get to the White House. I don't see her running in 2016!!!

I'll be willing to bet she makes a challenge in 2012, using the foreign policy experience she gains as Secretary of States to flesh out her credentials. Obama is making a personally dangerous move politically.

Respectfully,
M
Bikerman
Moonspider wrote:
lyndonray wrote:

I'll be willing to bet she makes a challenge in 2012, using the foreign policy experience she gains as Secretary of States to flesh out her credentials. Obama is making a personally dangerous move politically.

Respectfully,
M

I agree - I think she will use her position to build a very substantial political base, ready for her challenge in 2012.
It is also likely, given current circumstances, that the Obama Presidency will prove to be quite unpopular (certainly for the next couple of years), and if he is a man of his word, and avoids foreign 'adventures' to temporarily boost his popularity (a tactic used by many leaders in recent history), and he also tackles the budget deficit, then his popularity is likely to remain quite low over the term...
Moonspider
Bikerman wrote:
It is also likely, given current circumstances, that the Obama Presidency will prove to be quite unpopular (certainly for the next couple of years), and if he is a man of his word, and avoids foreign 'adventures' to temporarily boost his popularity (a tactic used by many leaders in recent history), and he also tackles the budget deficit, then his popularity is likely to remain quite low over the term...

That's my opinion as well. I believe his popularity will fall relatively quickly after taking office given the circumstances. (And I'd wager Mrs. Clinton believes this as well. She wouldn't accept this appointment if it did not serve her own political ambitions.)

Respectfully,
M
lyndonray
Her political chances would based on an unpopular Obama. However, she is not completely immune from that unpopularity if she is a key member of the adminstration. Unless if Obama ends up as unpopular as Bush is now, I don't see how she would challenge him in 2012. It remains to be seen, but I seriously don't see her doing that. Plus wouldn't you see it as a stab in the back - one of your team members challenging you for the leadership??? I am willing to bet Clinton's white house chances are pretty much done as long as Obama is in the picture. Besides come 2016 she will be too old - going into McCain territory, as it were!!! Laughing
Bikerman
Well, time will tell. I still predict that she will be a contender for 2012, and I further predict she will be the democratic nominee.
We shall see.....
Moonspider
Bikerman wrote:
Well, time will tell. I still predict that she will be a contender for 2012, and I further predict she will be the democratic nominee.
We shall see.....

I agree. She will seek the Democratic nomination in 2012 and will most likely be the nominee instead of President Obama.

Respectfully,
M
missdixy
jmi256 wrote:
1. This gets Hillary out of Obama's hair for a few years. She really can't act as a thorn in his side with criticisms of any of his policies if she's part of the team.

Wrong. Obama purposefully selected people that would bring up opposing points and that would help foster discussion in the White House.