FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Fashion Festival - Photography

bjwok
First pics taken with my brand spankin new 70-200 f/2.8L IS

Love the lens, but the lighting was not so great at this event.

Bit of background info: i hooked this gig up as a freelance photog in order to gain access to the media rise. Ironically, with the lighting and the reach of the 70-200 i didn't need it! The best shots I got were from directly behind the last row.

Also, these pics mark a milestone for me: they are my very first photographs I have sold!! I sold them to the event co ordinator after sending low res watermarked versions to her. I sold the entire 40 images for $200 making it about $65/hour (I was there for three hours) Is that too cheap? I did post process them to, so I guess I spent 5 hours all up.

Thoughts?

wiralogam
nice job, i am also starting learning photography since i got my slr.
how do you post process to get those sharp and perfect colour pictures?
i had several photo which has several color mismatch.
lifestyleprod
wow
bjwok
my technique is pretty simple, duplicate the layer, set to multiply with opacity at around 20%, then up contrast, lower brightness. i then run through portraiture noise reduction (if needed). then i unsharp at about 20% 2pixels, 0 threshold. that's it.

oh, yeah, i make sure i get a good pic to start with tho!
lethaltriad
Love the shots and congrats on being your first paid gig. The first of many to come i'm sure. Love shot number 7 and I sometimes do what you do with the multiply layer. Its make the colours nice and deeper and it can help recover alot of blown highlights sometimes in the images. Sometimes I would also desaturate that layer that multiplied and it would make the images alot moodier for like fashion shots. Love your work though, I would have thought this thread would be more replies but I guese we need more photo heads in this forum Razz
bjwok
thanks man Smile yeah there are so many ways to enhance an image in photoshop! lately i am trying to achieve all my post production in lightroom so i can work on the raw file and keep the changes with it before exporting to a tiff. lightroom has heaps of options and there are plenty of free presets to find and install.

and yeah, we need more photographers on here!!
lethaltriad
The new version of lightroom.. 2.2 has some new presets under camera calibration if you havent checked it out as yet. Landscape/portrait and some other modes sorta like in Digital Photo Professional. Using it now on the wedding photos I shot over the weekend and it also seems to be running a bit smoother with certain functions. Razz
bjwok
might have to look into the update. actually, i will hold off until i finish my wedding pics (200 or so to process and i want them to all have the same "feel")
deanhills
Excellent photos, well done! I like Photo 4 very much. It has a unique special moment of its own. Nice ambience. I also like your Avatar. Beautiful colour, and contrast in it.
bjwok
thanks dean, 4 is a bit oof in my opinion...

i created my avatar as part of a design i had to make for work, if anyone would like the eps file, i can send it...