FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Student meals

WhistleTurning
This may not be posted in the correct place, so admin feel free to move it.

Here goes.
Laughing My Church having just had a brand new kitchen and toilet block built have just embarked on the first use of the new commercial kitchen, providing meals for the University Students etc in the area. There are two universities and a large teaching hospital within two miles of the Church with a goos half of the houses round the Church beinbg occupied by Students. It was decided to provide a wholesome ho,me cooked main course for just 1, therefore heavily sucsidised, to help out the impoverished students. We had some 5000 flyers most hand delivered arround the Church and to the Universtities via students connected with the Church. This response supprisingly got little response, with only a handful of students turning up one the first two Tuesadays (only run on uesdays 5.30-7.30pm). This was a great surprise Rolling Eyes as we thought with the price on offer we would get flooded out. Apparently the flyers were most likely binned unread or the students who did read it thought it could not be much of a meal for the 1. After the few we had in to the Bistro talked to others and then on by word of mouth the numbers have dramatically increased and last Tuesday we had 21 students half of which had returned after already having experianced a meal in the previous three weeks.

The menu on offer always has three meals, Something plainish, something spicy and a vegetarian option, all with a coulple of drinks. Last Tuesday we provided for example, Spaggetti Bolognase, Cottage Pie and a Vegtarian Pasta Bake.
ThePolemistis
WhistleTurning wrote:
This may not be posted in the correct place, so admin feel free to move it.

Here goes.
Laughing My Church having just had a brand new kitchen and toilet block built have just embarked on the first use of the new commercial kitchen, providing meals for the University Students etc in the area. There are two universities and a large teaching hospital within two miles of the Church with a goos half of the houses round the Church beinbg occupied by Students. It was decided to provide a wholesome ho,me cooked main course for just 1, therefore heavily sucsidised, to help out the impoverished students. We had some 5000 flyers most hand delivered arround the Church and to the Universtities via students connected with the Church. This response supprisingly got little response, with only a handful of students turning up one the first two Tuesadays (only run on uesdays 5.30-7.30pm). This was a great surprise Rolling Eyes as we thought with the price on offer we would get flooded out. Apparently the flyers were most likely binned unread or the students who did read it thought it could not be much of a meal for the 1. After the few we had in to the Bistro talked to others and then on by word of mouth the numbers have dramatically increased and last Tuesday we had 21 students half of which had returned after already having experianced a meal in the previous three weeks.

The menu on offer always has three meals, Something plainish, something spicy and a vegetarian option, all with a coulple of drinks. Last Tuesday we provided for example, Spaggetti Bolognase, Cottage Pie and a Vegtarian Pasta Bake.

Thats great news, and I hope the profits generated (if any) is going towards good causes.
ptfrances
Yes it sounds great if it's in favour of good causes Wink
raine dragon
As a university student, I'd guess that the low turn out might have to do with one of a few things.
1) Transportation - students often don't have cars, and rely on bikes, buses or their feet to get places.
2) Timing - Students tend to be really busy, especially upper-level students. I'm a Senior in my schools web development program and I generally sleep 2-4h a night, with a night of no sleep on Monday nights to keep up with all my course work. Sometimes it is quicker to grab a quick sandwhich than to go somewhere. or, like today I cooked up some raman and some frozen veggies in the microwave for about 50 cents. ^^;
3) Lack of Attention - I see SO many fliers. For this, and that, and the other thing. By the end of the week, my head is spinning if I try to read them all. It's very possible that people just didn't read it in the middle of every other flier they got bombarded with.
AftershockVibe
You also have to remember that university students can be terribly cynical. Often with good reason.

At a low cost many will assume there must be a catch. Given that it's run by a church the most obvious catch is that they think they're going to be preached at or pressured into doing/joining things.

There's also the opposite reaction where students have already decided that Church isn't something they wish to partake in and that taking advantage of the church (because of the low cost) would be immoral.
Dean_The_Great
I wish there had been a place like that when I was in college, would have saved me some serious moolah on food. Plus I always just ate the same ol' thing all the time... could've done with a change from that
Arnie
I would love such a service near my university. Sad
Cddhesh
According to me you are doing a good job, which is very stable and i dint find anything will affect your job.Few conditions that you need to remember are like Students should have good friendship and faith with you.Rumor about anything going wrong in food can cause business to come down.
Situation took place when i was in college hostel, where our mess owner had promised us to provide chicken every Wednesday, and he failed to provide it for 2 times. Very few ,who were against that caterer raised this to issue and caterer was changed.
Well, all the best for your job.Keep on serving varieties so that consumers will be happy.
WhistleTurning
Thanks for all the comments folks. Most of us in the 3 months we have been running have drawn similar paralles. The fact we are a Church and the implications that may have, all though we do not preach in any way, but just answer questions if asked. The price we also feel has been a stumbling block with some thinking all they would get is beans on toast.

We now regularly get twenty or so mainly from word spreading through the student population by recommendation.

For those who were thinking of profits!!!!! forget it most meals cost in excess of 1 for ingredients alone never mind the use of gas etc to cook and heat the rooms used.

This is though a voluntary service some of us are committed to do
leontius
Maybe the university also has another canteen that is also subsidized (as in the case of my uni)? Or people might feel bad to bother you now that they know you do not take profit from it...
deanhills
If the University students are not doing justice to the canteen, could the church then not identify other population groups that may benefit more? I.e. your normal working people who are barely making ends meet, or school children?
WhistleTurning
Could be a future way to go, but others in the area already do this kind of outreach to other groups like the elderly and homeless
deanhills
WhistleTurning wrote:
Could be a future way to go, but others in the area already do this kind of outreach to other groups like the elderly and homeless

But not school children though. They need nutrition as well and in especially working families children are sometimes left on their own to prepare food for themselves with predictable consequences in choosing food that is not nourishing. I am referring especially to secondary school children.
traxion
easy

Monday: big mac
Tuesday: pizza
wensday: spagetti ( i need to eat something with vitamins)Razz
tursday: chinees
fryday: snackbar
weekend: sandwitch and kebab
mejo1900
If you keep up word pf mouth it should get really popular. College students are cynical (for good reason since they do get scammed more than any other agre group) ...but they trust their fellow friends.