FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Will Obama be anti-war enough?

handfleisch
http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-foreign-policy20-2008nov20,0,1380983.story

Antiwar groups fear Barack Obama may create hawkish Cabinet

Activists note that most of the candidates for top security posts voted for the 2002 resolution authorizing President Bush to invade Iraq or otherwise supported launching the war.

Reporting from Washington -- Antiwar groups and other liberal activists are increasingly concerned at signs that Barack Obama's national security team will be dominated by appointees who favored the Iraq invasion and hold hawkish views on other important foreign policy issues.

The activists are uneasy not only about signs that both Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) and Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates could be in the Obama Cabinet, but at reports suggesting that several other short-list candidates for top security posts backed the decision to go to war.

"Obama ran his campaign around the idea the war was not legitimate, but it sends a very different message when you bring in people who supported the war from the beginning," said Kelly Dougherty, executive director of the 54-chapter Iraq Veterans Against the War.

The activists -- key members of the coalition that propelled Obama to the White House -- fear he is drifting from the antiwar moorings of his once-longshot presidential candidacy. Obama has eased the rigid timetable he had set for withdrawing troops from Iraq, and he appears to be leaning toward the center in his candidates to fill key national security posts.
shkumbin
I believe Obama will continue with the same way of politics as his precedents on the war on terror, that the president have changed it doesn't mean that the things will change on the war on terror, maybe he will be softer with the Islamic countries and establish a better relationship with them (which is good since the point of view of Islamic countries should change once and for all)
ocalhoun
If he is going to have us pull out of the area, I hope he does it before I get deployed there.
How pointless would that be? Not trying to achieve anything, but just waiting around until orders came to pull out...
jwellsy
Barry Hussein does not have the moral fortitude to make any kind of decision and stick to it. He will only be "present".
atul2242
jwellsy wrote:
Barry Hussein does not have the moral fortitude to make any kind of decision and stick to it. He will only be "present".

Did you mean President !! Laughing
BigGeek
Ocalhoun,

I feel for you, I was in the Marines from 1977 -83, right after Vietnam ended. I served with quite a few War Vets. Couple of Marines in the Roanoke Combat Engineers Company (reserves) had been deployed in combat 2 months before the pullout. One of them was shot (not seriously) 2 weeks before they went home. He was funny as hell telling the story, but the point was pretty sad. US Soldiers dying knowing they were there for no reason, just waiting to pull out. Good luck over there!

Obama seems to have a strong ability to bring people together and get them organized to accomplish goals. Obviously he did so with his campaign, if he can do so with Iraq still remains to be seen. I know a lot of people that are upset with his choices for cabinet officers at this point. My feeling is that he is choosing many of the old gaurd so to speak, because they are familiar faces to the forgien diplomats, and possibly he will have more pull if he uses them to implement his peace stratagy. That's my educated guess anyway! I could be wrong, and there are quite a few people that disagree with me on this point.

Guess it depends on who you talk to!
paul_indo
He cannot do a total turnaround from the previous presidents route as the path is already set but I do believe that he will provide a satisfactory plan to rectify the mistakes and change direction over time.

The economic situation will create massive pressure even beyond that of the Afghanistan, Iraq problems .
I think he will be able to improve America's relation with the rest of the world to a new level but it will take time and patience on the part of Americans and foriegners.
spring567
Just fight if white house need.
coolclay
The anti-war activists won't be happy until every United States citizen is back in the US and every other country is ruled by evil men like Saddam.
handfleisch
coolclay wrote:
The anti-war activists won't be happy until every United States citizen is back in the US and every other country is ruled by evil men like Saddam.

Hmm, if I could borrow some words from Bikerman:

Bikerman wrote:
Err....I think you are talking complete and utter bollox. In fact, I don't THINK it, I KNOW it. As someone who worked in [antiwar activism] I find your nonsense quite offensive and I suggest you think before posting.
silverdown
I believe everything will pretty much continue the same since the President does not have full control on that is done. If the house of representatives don't like it they wont let it happen, that just proves to me one simple thing. The house of Reps. could have stop this war over in Iraq long ago. I believe it was Bush's idea but the house of Reps. could have stop and sent home the troops