FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Not really a suggestion...more like a forum bug.

Ratmaster
Just today I noticed the forum to be kinda slow. I have had this problem on some of my sites before but they were usually due to server problems, but I have no clue of anything internal going on here.

When I try to edit my post (I don't know if this happens when I post a new topic or post...but that goes slow as well) it will load for maybe 30 seconds to about 2 minutes, and either successfully complete or ask me to download a blank posting.php file.

Is this temporary or is this going to be a reoccurring problem?

Thanks.

Oh, btw, I am using Firefox v3.0.4

(if this is the wrong forum, please correct me, but I don't know where to post problems with this site itself)
Ghost Rider103
I have also noticed the forums being extremely slow lately. Especially in editing your posts.

It'll probably go away in a couple days.
AftershockVibe
Works fine for me. Same firefox version.

Just load on the server at the time when you were using it I assume.
ocalhoun
That's happened to me a few times, but I've always just assumed it was due to connection problems with my internet connection, which happens often enough.
LukeakaDanish
Forums are super speedy here.

Oh btw I doubt browser version/type matters here...Smile
deanhills
I have serious problems from home. In addition to being kicked out (while Frihost still thinks I am logged in), when I started with my postings last night, I started at No. 620 and after four postings was at 622. While I was doing the postings, I was kicked out repeatedly and it came up with illegal screens suggesting that a critical error had occurred. I reported it as per the quote below, but no reply:

Quote:
I am still experiencing problems with being spontaneously logged out of Frihost, while Frihost is still thinking I am logged in. I.e. my name still appears as logged in at the bottom of the Forums screen but I am logged out. I thought I had the problem sorted out with Mozilla, but tonight the same problem happened at home using a dial-up system, and a new phenomenon: the numbering of my messages did not click over from 621 to 622 and from 622 to 623. When I started I was on Posting 620 and after doing four postings tonight, it only moved to 622. While I was submitting my postings, the server came up with illegal notification, etc. etc. So was aware that something must have happened to keep the numbering the same as the previous posting that had to do with a system problem.

And yes, it is painfully slow, but I thought that was due to dial-up, but now realize it was specific to Frihost, as with dial-up I am quite OK with other Websites. I also find it slower at work than it used to be.
truespeed
Just to say the forums are always fine for me,i stay logged in for ages,even if i exit the site and come back a couple of hours later i will still be logged in.

Forums are always fast too.
Its probably a server thing,dependent on when you visit the site.
Fire Boar
This data is based on users active over the past five minutes

That message is at the bottom of the Who Is Online list, and it means that your name will not disappear immediately you log out. The forums simply record the time when you were last active, and each time it displays the Who Is Online statistics it checks for people who have been online within the past 5 minutes. A few minutes after logging out you will be removed from that list but not instantly.

Anyway, myself I've never had problems with the Frihost boards.
Diablosblizz
I've also been noticing this slightly. Not always though, just randomly and it usually never happens twice. I thought it was the server, but I've never had this problem before.
Ratmaster
Eh, I'm not sure about everyone else's problems with this at the moment, but the speed has seemed to resumed on my end. I'm not asked to download files anymore. Razz
deanhills
Fire Boar wrote:
This data is based on users active over the past five minutes

That message is at the bottom of the Who Is Online list, and it means that your name will not disappear immediately you log out. The forums simply record the time when you were last active, and each time it displays the Who Is Online statistics it checks for people who have been online within the past 5 minutes. A few minutes after logging out you will be removed from that list but not instantly.

Anyway, myself I've never had problems with the Frihost boards.

My name actually does disappear immediately when I log out. I successfully logged out last night and then checked the names, and mine had disappeared. That was a nice feeling. Am now at work and things seem to be better from here.
deanhills
Another critical error, and no credit for a posting, i.e. after I had submitted the posting, it did publish, but the number of posts remained at 652, instead of going to 653, and when you looked at the category that I published in, Religion, my name did not appear as the last one published. I then went in, deleted the posting, and the number went down to 651. I thought it may stay at 652. I pasted the content again, and it went back to 652. While the critical error was going on, the message that came up was that Mozilla Firefox was unable to connect with Frihost Database.
Ratmaster
deanhills wrote:
Another critical error, and no credit for a posting, i.e. after I had submitted the posting, it did publish, but the number of posts remained at 652, instead of going to 653, and when you looked at the category that I published in, Religion, my name did not appear as the last one published. I then went in, deleted the posting, and the number went down to 651. I thought it may stay at 652. I pasted the content again, and it went back to 652. While the critical error was going on, the message that came up was that Mozilla Firefox was unable to connect with Frihost Database.

Erm...this seems like you either were trying to post when at a point the Frihost Database was beginning to fail (I don't know if this exactly is the reason...but weird things do happen if you do something while a database is failing) or it may be just bugging itself...

The thing about the showing your username on who is online after you logged out has been a problem with many phpBB2s..or at least what I have heard.
SpellcasterDX
lol Frihost started slowing down for me after I opened this topic, ironically enough.

But prior to right now I hadn't experienced any problems at all.
Marston
It's either load on the server or load on the DB (by now I assume the database for this forum is absolutely huge, and therefore, I would assume that accessing and particularily modifying the database would then take a longer amount of time).
deanhills
Ratmaster wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Erm...this seems like you either were trying to post when at a point the Frihost Database was beginning to fail (I don't know if this exactly is the reason...but weird things do happen if you do something while a database is failing) or it may be just bugging itself...

The thing about the showing your username on who is online after you logged out has been a problem with many phpBB2s..or at least what I have heard.

Thanks Ratmaster. Really appreciate this, as of course it has been confusing me quite a bit and the end not in sight yet. Sorry for this belated "thank you" but have been away for a couple of weeks, in chilly London no less!