FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How old were you when....

jmraker
How old were you when you were driving and realized that your blinking turn signal was still blinking and must have been on for over a mile?

It happened to me the first time this morning on the way to work and I'm only 35, I wonder if that might make me senile, retarded or just annoying.

I'm sorry for being an annoying senile retarded driver
spring567
No happan ever.
vineeth
Hmm, it happens even now with my bike.
Arseniy
I'm too young now to drive Smile And actually I don't want to do it whenever in my life. Too risky.
Afaceinthematrix
That's never happened to me. Although the other day on the highway that happened to the person in front of me. She put on her left blinker to get over to the left lane and she left it on for miles. Finally, she needed to get into the right lane so she put on her right blinker and got over to the right lane where she then proceeded to leave the blinker on again for miles.
Cove
I'm 18 and started driving three years ago and never had a problem till this year Sad I always saw people doing it and though "wow...that's dumb." Now that it happened to me of course, I can't be too hypocritical Razz
Zombie
That happened to me multiple times over the past few years that ive been driving. I am 18
Diablosblizz
I really don't see how that happens, don't you hear the clicking noise when the blinker is on? I don't drive, just haven't gotten my G1 yet because I don't want to drive yet, but my dad does it all the time, but I don't say anything cause it's funny. Smile
Agent ME
I've just started driving and haven't had that problem yet. Though both cars I've driven so far automatically turn off the signal after I complete a turn Smile
Ghost Rider103
Agent ME wrote:
I've just started driving and haven't had that problem yet. Though both cars I've driven so far automatically turn off the signal after I complete a turn Smile

That doesn't always help you when you are just changing lanes though.

I have never done this. My car also will turn the blinker off after a complete turn, but when changing lanes, you will usually have to turn the blinker off manually. Not everytime, but most of the time.
missdixy
Lol it happened to me once when I was driving my mom's van, I was around 17 years old. But to be fair it was in the daylight (so I couldn't see the light blinking really) and the turn signal was broken and didn't make noise OR turn off by itself. I had to turn it on and then turn it off manually after I turned.
iyepes
Hmmm, my car has a device which turn off the light once you have made the turn, so, It never happened to me.

Also I'm so aware of auditive signals, so I realize I have the turn light on, since I do it, (another wonderful car device). It would be loosing my hearing sense to left it on.

I'm 33, but since I have a car like this, I don't think so I'll have any of these problems.
Hammy
Arseniy wrote:
I'm too young now to drive Smile And actually I don't want to do it whenever in my life. Too risky.

You never want to drive? .. For most kids it's like all they ever wanna do as they grow up.

This has never happened to me, but i hate it when people leave their High-Beam headlights on. It happens soo often. Even my mates, im always reminding them to turn it off.

Aouther thing that happened not too long ago, my dad usually drives a van which has 6 gears + Reverse... He's been driving my car alot recently whcih just has the 5 gears.
In the van the other week, we were going along the motoway at 70mph in 4th gear =/ .. now he often forgets 6th gear with driving the car... but.. 5th!! =/ the engine was screaming away for like a mile before i decided to tell him.
Magicman
I've never gone for miles with a blinker still on but I've had mine on for a little bit. Its actually really easy to leave it on because the clicking sound can easily be overlooked when there are so many other sounds of the road.
Helios
I don't think it has anything to do with age. There are people who forget such details quite often, and there are people who are always focused. I mean, it could happen if you're troubled by something else at the moment, for example...
reb00table
It was 9PM, dark outside and light just from the street poles. I was waiting for my friends, and I left the car near a roadcross (the law says you have to be at least 65 feet away). A police patrol passed by. I knew they will be back. I started the engine and left, engaged into traffic (Very Happy), cornered a few blocks and return on the first streen, only at more than 65 feet from the roadcross. After parking I realised the headlights where off all that time. Shocked
Btw, I'm 18.

Cove wrote:
I'm 18 and started driving three years ago

Where are you from?
Where I am you have to be 18+ to drive a car (sedan...) and 21+ for trucks, heavy weight cars, buses, prototypes test driving ....
soljarag
never happened to me... however I have drove with my gas lid cracked... (not the screw cap! just the body door)
PatTheGreat42
Never. I have all my mental... stuff.
standready
Work 24 hours straight and see if doesn't happen to you.
Arty
Nope. I don't drive, yet Sad
andredesignz
well am 23 and i was driving from 18 and that have never happen to me
SpellcasterDX
reb00table wrote:
It was 9PM, dark outside and light just from the street poles. I was waiting for my friends, and I left the car near a roadcross (the law says you have to be at least 65 feet away). A police patrol passed by. I knew they will be back. I started the engine and left, engaged into traffic (Very Happy), cornered a few blocks and return on the first streen, only at more than 65 feet from the roadcross. After parking I realised the headlights where off all that time. Shocked
Btw, I'm 18.

Cove wrote:

Where are you from?
Where I am you have to be 18+ to drive a car (sedan...) and 21+ for trucks, heavy weight cars, buses, prototypes test driving ....

Well in the US (in Texas, anyway. Dunno about other states) at 15 you can start driving with a permit, but someone else has to be in the car with you, and that someone else has to be 18+.

Anyway, I haven't started driving yet, but yea I think it's happened to my parents a few times. Not very often though.
hlavco
I left it on long enough to realize that eventually my car dings at me to turn it off.

A lot of the time I'll accidentally turn it on when toggling my hi-beams, because they're on the same lever thing, along with the windshield wipers.
pashmina
This never happened to me..
mtorregiani
Never happened to me to dirve 1 mile with the turn signal on. But it happens sometimes to me that I drive a few mts (100, 150 mts). First time was when I was 15.
Pikokola
well.. if it's more than a mile, I think I haven't do that.
But I ever forgot to turn my front light Razz
Wolf1918
I'm in my 50's and it has happened to me occasionally too. I tend to get to dependent on the little "helpers" in the car. Such as the ticking sound the turn signal makes when it flashes. My car is kind of noisy, (bad muffler) plus it has no air conditioning, so in the summer I have to drive with the window down or die from the heat. With all the noise, I can't hear the ticking sound of the turn signal, then if I'm not really paying attention to it I will sometimes forget to turn it back off after a lane change or a merge. If I make an actual turn past a certain degree the turn signals automatically will turn themselves off.

Yes, it's annoying when other people do it, and annoys me when I do it. Usually, I'll say a universal "Sorry about that" when I turn them off and hope I haven't really ticked anybody off.

I'm not sure if, in my case, it's a "senior moment" or not, but it is annoying and embarrassing.

Chad
erlendhg
That's a bit funny. Well, it could happen to anyone. Regarding myself, I am not old enough to drive.
Arnie
Cove wrote:
18 - 3 = 15 ? Oi.
raine dragon
It's never happened to me, but I don't have my license. I was fainting a lot when I was younger, so I never got around to getting it. I'm planning on getting it this summer. (I'll be 23 XD)
psycosquirrel
I've been driving for 5.5 years now, and it has never happened to me...

I notice other people doing it quite often though. It doesn't bother me, I just avoid them. I figure if the individual leaving his blinker on is either tired, having an off day, or not paying enough attention to the road.

If it happens once, I wouldn't worry about it. You were probably just too tired to be driving Razz
brokenadvice
I'm 18 and this has happened to me several times. Thankfully I tend to turn a lot, so when I hit the stick to turn again I realize my mistake!
Kaseas
I drive, I'm 17, and usually I'm pretty aware of things going on. We'll see in 10 years though Razz
torboxz
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
That's never happened to me. Although the other day on the highway that happened to the person in front of me. She put on her left blinker to get over to the left lane and she left it on for miles. Finally, she needed to get into the right lane so she put on her right blinker and got over to the right lane where she then proceeded to leave the blinker on again for miles.

Hahahaha... LMAO.. It happen to me too, but this one annoys me rather its being funny. I was on a single lane two way road, the car in front of me has his right blinker on (btw, malaysia is like uk, we drive on the left lane) for a quite some time, so I slow down my car assuming that he's gonna make a right turn because the car moving a little bit slow. What annoys me is that the car eventually make a turn but to the left even with the right blinker is still on. I'm glad that I waited until the driver make his turn, I was about to overtake him from the left, if not, I would've been in the hospital right now.
gugusm
Well, I can't even drive, I don't have license Wink But I hope it won't happen to me when I get it.
sana618
it used to happen to me when i was learning to drive. i used to forget about it as i was too busy trying to consentrat on other things like driving and my dad used to keep telling me to remember to switch the blinkers off. Since my dad was my driving instructor i think that now i'm a pretty good driver.
Starchance
i cant drive yet...damn!