FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dell Tech Support

[FuN]goku
Okay i figured i should post this story in this section cuz it's related to dell tech support Razz

Okay, so yesterday, i call up dell about my hardrive which is failing. Prior to calling, i ran diagnostics, i had a ticking noise coming from my hardrive, windows failed to load, and finally i wiped all partitions and re-installed windows and it booted. But It was still failing of course, although i DID have limited functionality within windows xp, but it would lock up if i tried to install something, and file copying failed half the time.

So anyways i call up dell yesterday, they forward my call to tech support.
So this guy comes on i explain my situation, and he asks me for my name and email etc etc.

So then he asks me to run diagnostics, so i run it, even though i knew an error would come up.
So i give him the error code. Next he tells me to go find my Dell Drivers and Utilities CD, so after sorting through about 600 cd's (literally, no joke) i found my Drivers and Utilities cd. So now he wants me to run the diagnostics that is on the cd.

I ran the diagnostic on the cd, and it finally finishes with an error.
So i give him THIS error code, and next he tells me to go and find my windows xp installation disc.
I had no clue where it was, and i went through ALL my cd's again. Finally i go to my desk where under a stack of papers i find the cd.

So he wants me to do a fresh install of WinXP.. he told me to wipe any partitions so theres only one, and then do the Full format (not the quick one)

Now he tells me it will take about an hour, and he gave me a Case Number and he said to call dell back in an hour.

So i leave my laptop on my desk whilst doing things on my pc. It was at 7% formatted , then finally goes to 8%... Then for the remainder of the hour it was stuck at 8% formatted.

After the hour was up i call dell back up. After listening to elevator music for 8 mins i finally get someone to talk to. So i gave her my Case Number.

The thing that i found funny, was that she never asked about the installation, the first thing she says is "so we're going to replace that hardrive and ship a new one to you"

Which i found funny because why would they even bother to ask me to install winxp again if they're just gonna tell me to replace it when i call back? lol

So then i had to take out my hardrive and read her the serial number on it.

I should be getting my new hardrive anytime soon i hope but the point i was trying to get across i guess, is that dell tech support treats you as if you have NO KNOWLEDGE of computers at all or something. Which is kind of annoying, because not everyone is computer illiterate. Razz

But overall that whole process took me from..
4:00 pm when i got home from school, til 5:00 pm, which was the first phone call, then i had to wait til 6:00, and then about another 45 mins with the second person.

Anywho, just thought i'd post this lil story Razz
Jaan
yeah... dell takes very long to do stuff if there's a minor deviation from the norm.

i'm getting an international ownership transfer... waited for a month... they say 'incorrect info'.. so it'll be another month.. and then i'll have to wait again for a technician to replace my dead video card.
[FuN]goku
Well, this is strange, i called dell 2 days ago, and i got a call from them today asking if i got my hardrive yet. So apparently they're fast on single-part shipments or something. Knowing my luck, purolater probably screwed up again like the did last time and ended up almost losing my laptop cuz they said they didn't have the return address. So they were just holding it in a town an hour and a half away and they wouldn't mail it to us, so we had to call dell to get them to do something about it. Since then i don't like purolator. Or FedEx for that matter either. I ordered a replacement adapter for my laptop and they just threw it in the front door between the storm door and the other door. I wasn't too happy about that.

But, hey, at least when dell called me tonight they actually ASKED this time if i NEEDED assistance installing my hardrive/winxp , rather than just telling me it's available hehe.
Pepperfan
Quote:
I should be getting my new hardrive anytime soon i hope but the point i was trying to get across i guess, is that dell tech support treats you as if you have NO KNOWLEDGE of computers at all or something. Which is kind of annoying, because not everyone is computer illiterate.

Hey [FuN]goku,

I feel your pain. But I know from doing technical support for every component under the sun that the technicians have to do what they did there are to many people out there who call up and tell you that there hardware is broken and can even give a convincing reason why it is broken. But then you walk them througha few things suddenly it works! Go figure.

If it is any consolation the first guy was clearly a newbie. I would have had you off the phone with a new hard drive on the way in less than a half hour.

Charles
Diablosblizz
Wow, I just hate when that happens. Or when something happens to your computer like a virus or something and it takes you all night to fix it. Then that's a bummer.

I've had a few experiences, although nothing with Dell. I was having problems with my speed from my USB adaptor to my PC (yes, using a USB cord to connect to the internet - it's possible). So I phoned up my ISP, Cogeco, and the Tech Support woman told me that it was IMPOSSIBLE to get internet through a USB cable. I clearly explained that it's not impossible, and if it was then how am I doing it?

Basically, I had a 30 minute argument for her to just hang up on me. I could have told a manager or companied about her, but at that point in time I really didn't care. After a few weeks I phoned again and somebody booked somebody to come and uncap my modem. Smile

All that for to get one anyways. Pretty pathetic.
Craeft
"Dell" and "Tech Support" are an oxymoron. I pretty much only go with homebuild because you can know what you're putting in it, and build a better computer for cheaper than you can buy an OTC one. The only good thing about OTCs is that they COME with an OS.

Anyway, to the point of the OP. Good luck with the new HDD. Unfortunately, Dell is pretty much proprietary with their weird-ass connections and chassis mounts. But I would actually recommend throwing the old HDD into another system and see what happens. Smile I have a 120GB drive that my friend (who was a computer consultant) said was dead so he gave it to me to "play with". I put it in my old computer along with an 80GB HDD... it's been there for 4 years, still working like a champ. Weird things happen sometimes.

If you decide, instead, to throw it away, I'll take it. Smile I use the magnets of dead HDDs for various fun... everything from electromagnetic coils to 'trick weaponry' for theatre stage combat weapons. Wink
Chris65536
Try PC World Tech Support. Dell seems like a great system by comparison.

Exhibit A:
"Turn you computer off for 5 minutes and then call back"
"Fine..."

5 minutes later...
"Hi, I was told to turn my computer off for 5 minutes and ring back if it still didn't work"
"Can you try turning your computer off for 5 minutes and call back if it doesn't work"
"I just did"
"Just try it anyway, sir"

Exhibit B:
"Hi, I've got a problem with my wireless card. I was told to reformat the computer (it was only a few days old, so no worries), and to call back if the problem remained."
"It sounds like a software problem sir. That's not covered by your warentee"
"But I reformatted the computer! Surely that implies either a hardware fault or what's on your recovery disk!"
"Thank you for calling PC World Tech Support. Goodbye"

Incidentally, my PC is 2 years old now, and the fault with the wireless still remains. It now has an ethernet cable plugged into the back of it Very Happy
Diablosblizz
Chris, did that actually happen to you? That wireless problem surely sucks. Why didn't you buy a new wireless adaptor?
Craeft
Chris65536 wrote:
Try PC World Tech Support. Dell seems like a great system by comparison.

Exhibit A:
"Turn you computer off for 5 minutes and then call back"
"Fine..."

5 minutes later...
"Hi, I was told to turn my computer off for 5 minutes and ring back if it still didn't work"
"Can you try turning your computer off for 5 minutes and call back if it doesn't work"
"I just did"
"Just try it anyway, sir"

Exhibit B:
"Hi, I've got a problem with my wireless card. I was told to reformat the computer (it was only a few days old, so no worries), and to call back if the problem remained."
"It sounds like a software problem sir. That's not covered by your warentee"
"But I reformatted the computer! Surely that implies either a hardware fault or what's on your recovery disk!"
"Thank you for calling PC World Tech Support. Goodbye"

Incidentally, my PC is 2 years old now, and the fault with the wireless still remains. It now has an ethernet cable plugged into the back of it Very Happy

What's the issue with your wireless? THAT, I may be able to help with since I am pretty much networking and hardware.
[FuN]goku
Heh, i got my new Hardrive last friday, and it's funny, i had a 60gig in my laptop before, and the replacement they sent me was an 80 gig. I was quite happy with that Razz