FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Can you tell an American from what he types?





truespeed
Re: the title??

Most of the Americans on here (I know its a generalization and there will be exceptions) ,have very strong (pro) views on gun control,the death penalty,anti abortion,whereas people from outside of the USA seem to take a more liberal and level view to such subjects,so can you tell where in the world a poster is from what he types,and more specifically can you tell if they are American?
apple
hmmm...I really can't say cause I have never considered any of this before.
snowboardalliance
truespeed wrote:
Re: the title??

Most of the Americans on here (I know its a generalization and there will be exceptions) ,have very strong (pro) views on gun control,the death penalty,anti abortion,whereas people from outside of the USA seem to take a more liberal and level view to such subjects,so can you tell where in the world a poster is from what he types,and more specifically can you tell if they are American?


Weird to generalize all Americans that way. I'm a liberal American so I guess you wouldn't be able to tell I'm American with your view.

That's kind of like how I heard some people here at school (honor's college) saying that they thought that because most of the honors students are smart, they would be more conservative (around the election time). I thought it was very weird logic. I mean I always thought of being liberal correlating with critical thinking and would have thought the opposite. You really can't generalize so easily.
Fatality
There are many different grounds that Americans stand on. Different views from where one lives to how they were raised, to what life situations have directly impacted them that define what believe in and how much. To generalize like that I think is incorrect. Yes, a larger percentage of people that have a stronger more passionate belief against what the majority of the world thinks are probably American. This does not mean that every American, or even most are like this. A larger population of American citizens are probably just as liberal as those outside the States. So to answer your question: I would so no.
Chris65536
Americans can't spell! Razz

In all seriousness, you're more likely to spot an American because they drop "u"s out of words:

[quote=snowboardalliance]That's kind of like how I heard some people here at school (honor's college) saying that they thought that because most of the honors students are smart[/quote]

On this side of the pond, honor has a "u" (honour). Laughing


However, you can spot stereotypical Americans easily. But if you're playing the stereotypes game, you can probably spot anyone of anything. The stereotypical Brit will be a loyal monarchist, for instance. Not necessarily true, but if you spot one they're probably British. Also you're being racist. Cool
snowboardalliance
Chris65536 wrote:
Americans can't spell! Razz

In all seriousness, you're more likely to spot an American because they drop "u"s out of words:


On this side of the pond, honor has a "u" (honour). Laughing


However, you can spot stereotypical Americans easily. But if you're playing the stereotypes game, you can probably spot anyone of anything. The stereotypical Brit will be a loyal monarchist, for instance. Not necessarily true, but if you spot one they're probably British. Also you're being racist. Cool


You know I thought the OP would have brought up the whole "humor vs. humour" and "realize vs. realise" type of stuff. Or even "The hospital vs. hospital". Those are common but I guess only between Americans and British.
truespeed
I wasn't going with the spelling aspect of the posts or even the language differences (eg: Lift v Elevator) but just a general world view.
Futile
I will refrain from making this a flame war, because I think that your sheer ignorance and immaturity for even posting a stereotypical statement like that speaks volumes about your level of intelligence and also reveals that your direct exposure to other countries, nationalities, and cultures is obviously limited to a monitor and keyboard. I believe that Fatality best answered your asinine post. But hey let’s not just make asinine stereotypical generalizations about Americans let’s just follow the trend and include everyone we can think of… Americans are sadistic, genocidal, gun toting lunatics hell bent on killing anything that moves, especially the ones that live in Texas…All Euros are coffee drinking, tea sipping, croissant munching, and seldom bathing tree huggers who want to sit around the fire , roast marshmallows and sing “It’s A Small World After All” while the world explodes around them…All Ausies are ignorant, drunk, blow hards, who carry boomerangs and chase kangaroos all day…All Asians are smarter than everyone else but have small genitalia.
Sorry if I offended anyone in making my point, no offense meant. Just trying to shed some enlightenment on ignorance.

Few things piss me off. Sterotypes are one.
ankitdatashn
Well you cant really make out a person from what he types. I mean people type differently we have so many people. with so many indians , so many americans, so many australians and so on and so forth differences are natural. consider Two americans. one types using shorthand sms type language and other person writes using full grammatical language so its really impossible to make out which person lives in which country. However if you can show the face of both then anyone can get a hint about there country of origin and to an extent clothes can also tell that.

Like we have handwriting duplicating people, people can also duplicate in the manner one types the language.
truespeed
Futile wrote:
I will refrain from making this a flame war, because I think that your sheer ignorance and immaturity for even posting a stereotypical statement like that speaks volumes about your level of intelligence and also reveals that your direct exposure to other countries, nationalities, and cultures is obviously limited to a monitor and keyboard.


Firstly,any post made is made with the intent of getting a response,but yours seems quite an angry one,but i will sidestep your anger and insults and concentrate on the points you make.

Your first point being that i must have limited contact with other countries and cultures to make the statement i did,its true i am not well travelled,but in a world where we have access to X amounts of news and information,that doesn't disqualify me from having an opinion.

To take your point further,and according to this article,only 25% (Although the percentage is argued,this is the highest one) of Americans have passports,so if your argument is that i am ignorant because i am not well travelled,then that same argument must apply to 75% of all Americans.



Futile wrote:
I believe that Fatality best answered your asinine post. But hey let’s not just make asinine stereotypical generalizations about Americans let’s just follow the trend and include everyone we can think of… Americans are sadistic, genocidal, gun toting lunatics hell bent on killing anything that moves, especially the ones that live in Texas…All Euros are coffee drinking, tea sipping, croissant munching, and seldom bathing tree huggers who want to sit around the fire , roast marshmallows and sing “It’s A Small World After All” while the world explodes around them…All Ausies are ignorant, drunk, blow hards, who carry boomerangs and chase kangaroos all day…All Asians are smarter than everyone else but have small genitalia.
Sorry if I offended anyone in making my point, no offense meant. Just trying to shed some enlightenment on ignorance.



I never intended to stereotype,so taking my point to the stereotype extreme is kind of missing the point of the original post. The fact is ,everyone's world view is affected by where they live to a varying degree.


Futile wrote:
Few things piss me off. Sterotypes are one.


Its weird because it was your post HERE that made me start this thread in the first place.

Futile wrote:


It appears that a majority of the posters against the Death Penalty are non Americans.


Which implies that non Americans are only against the death penalty because they are not American and don't understand what it is to live in America and think like an American,isn't this you stereotyping Americans and non Americans?

I know your in favour of the death penalty but can i ask you,dare i ask you,are you pro gun? Are you anti abortionist?
{name here}
Generally, I'd say that it is possible to get a decent idea on where people are from based on their spellings (color v. colour), word choice (reckon v. think), their allusions (Szymon Majewski v. Stephen Colbert), etc. It'd be tedious and take numerous posts in order to try and truly figure out where they come from, and even then it'd be quite general, barring any actual references to where they live.
Donutey
I'm an American, and I'm pro-choice, for (most) gun-control, and anti-death penalty. I think the death penalty is slowly but surely dying (bad pun...) in the US, several states have moratoriums on it, and many more have increased restrictions on when it's used. As for gun-control, I have a suspicion most people don't care, while those that are more for or against it live in the country or urban centers.
Futile
truespeed wrote:
Your first point being that i must have limited contact with other countries and cultures to make the statement i did,its true i am not well travelled,but in a world where we have access to X amounts of news and information,that doesn't disqualify me from having an opinion.

To take your point further,and according to this article,only 25% (Although the percentage is argued,this is the highest one) of Americans have passports,so if your argument is that i am ignorant because i am not well travelled,then that same argument must apply to 75% of all Americans.


No one is saying that you are not entitled to your opinion, but a generalized statement like the one you made can be classified as stereotypical in nature, whether meant it to be "stereotypical" or not. Once again you group Americans as a whole. I have been to every continent in the world except Antartica, lived in 3 different countries and travelled to over 21. I speak only for myself not the general public.

EDIT:
I apologize for not looking at the source where you pulled your stats before I posted because I gave you the benefit of a doubt concerning whatever info was there. Someone else brought it to my attention that I should read it. The main article is more then three years old and some of the links to the sources in it are not only dead but dated 2001. I also find it strange that you would use an article like that for your info when the same site that you got the information off of states that the facts aren't right and entirely wrong. SEE FOR YOURSELF HERE. I work with statistics and numbers everyday. Statistics and numbers are always good to back your position, but the three things you have to remember when using them are sources, sources and more sources. Bad Sources = Bad Info.


truespeed wrote:
Which implies that non Americans are only against the death penalty because they are not American and don't understand what it is to live in America and think like an American,isn't this you stereotyping Americans and non Americans?


No. I am not stereotyping. If you had read the entire thread you would see that a "majority" of the posters on that thread who oppose the death penalty are non Americans. I am well travelled and well versed in several different cultures but I do not claim to know their judicial system or process. This is what I said

Futile wrote:
It appears that a majority of the posters against the Death Penalty are non Americans. I do not mean to insult anyone’s intelligence but I think that a quick FYI on the US Judicial system may clear up a few misconceptions that I discovered while reading this thread. Let me start off by saying that our fine judicial system is flawed and far from perfect as is everyone’s judicial system. Everyone is innocent until proven guilty. There is no one man, (judge) saying that this individual is guilty. They are tried by a jury of their peers and the judge passes sentencing according to the laws in place. In some cases there are even separate hearing altogether concerning the sentencing. This isn’t the wild, wild west, where the sentence is carried out immediately. The average time for most Death Row inmates is 8 to 10 years. As long as there are appeals and avenues open a judge will pass sentencing but not issue an execution date. There are some inmates who have been on Death Row for 15 plus years. And yes there maybe someone who is innocent of the crime that they are accused of but they were found guilty. In our court systems you don’t even have to prove you are innocent. You just have to prove that there is reasonable doubt that you committed the crime. I am sure that more people who are guilty have walked than those who are innocent and found guilty.


I did not say or even insinuate anywhere in that post that they did not know what it is or was to be American. I gave an FYI on the American Judicial system that is all. Please correct me if I missed something.

truespeed wrote:
I know your in favour of the death penalty but can i ask you,dare i ask you,are you pro gun? Are you anti abortionist?


You may dare. I am "pro gun" as you say. I have several firearms of different size and calibur. My children know how to handle and use a firearm. The best type of gun control starts with knowledge and handling.

And I guess that I break your mold on the anti abortion issue. I am pro abortion. It is the woman decision whether or not to have a child.
standready
Since a war has started, NO comment.
deanhills
This is probably a stereo-type of question, considering that there are more than 250 million people in the United States. If I look at the postings in this forum from those who are from the United States, the authors are definitely not all the same. Some are more explicit in their views, others more tolerant. When I was travelling in the United States I for example found a total difference in the culture and point of view in San Francisco, vs. Phoenix and New York.
kerryworkman
I am American, as a result I probably have a biased opinion on this subject. I personally would think it would be hard to peg a person as being from the United States, based only on their views or beliefs (perhaps spelling, word choice, or grammar would be more effective dependent on where they went to school or grew up).
The one thing that I didn't notice anyone else mention is that it is a giant melting pot here, every different culture, race, and belief system is represented in one way or another. Many of my neighbors don't even speak the same language, so how would you know where they are posting from? You don't have to be a native English speaker to become an American Citizen, one of my friends was telling that when his mom and dad became citizens they were given tests and instructions in their native language. Would you know that they are Americans based on their views?
The other thing is that opinions vary dramatically from one part of this country to another. The differences between rural and urban parts of the country, the differences between people on the east and west coast, not to mention the southern and northern states. People do not share the same views from city to city, or home to home, so how can we all share the view's expressed in the original post? I personally know that I do not share those views.
Vladalf
I usually recognize an american typing from his nerve, proudness, bad humour, inculture, and usually their weak-willnes. Sorry if I'm insulting the exceptions (yes there are exceptions and I respect them as much as anyone else) but my opinion about the majority of americans is very bad.

-Vladalf
snowboardalliance
Vladalf wrote:
I usually recognize an american typing from his nerve, proudness, bad humour, inculture, and usually their weak-willnes. Sorry if I'm insulting the exceptions (yes there are exceptions and I respect them as much as anyone else) but my opinion about the majority of americans is very bad.

-Vladalf


wow...
Afaceinthematrix
Vladalf wrote:
I usually recognize an american typing from his nerve, proudness, bad humour, inculture, and usually their weak-willnes. Sorry if I'm insulting the exceptions (yes there are exceptions and I respect them as much as anyone else) but my opinion about the majority of americans is very bad.

-Vladalf


I usually recognize a Romanian from their arrogance, pride, stereotyping, and their tendency to look at people of other nationalities condescendily. I'm sorry if I'm insulting the exception (yes, there are exceptions, and I respect them as much as anyone else) but my opinion about the majority of Romanians is very bad.

- Afaceinthematrix
truespeed
Futile wrote:
truespeed wrote:
Your first point being that i must have limited contact with other countries and cultures to make the statement i did,its true i am not well travelled,but in a world where we have access to X amounts of news and information,that doesn't disqualify me from having an opinion.

To take your point further,and according to this article,only 25% (Although the percentage is argued,this is the highest one) of Americans have passports,so if your argument is that i am ignorant because i am not well travelled,then that same argument must apply to 75% of all Americans.



EDIT:
I apologize for not looking at the source where you pulled your stats before I posted because I gave you the benefit of a doubt concerning whatever info was there. Someone else brought it to my attention that I should read it. The main article is more then three years old and some of the links to the sources in it are not only dead but dated 2001. I also find it strange that you would use an article like that for your info when the same site that you got the information off of states that the facts aren't right and entirely wrong. SEE FOR YOURSELF HERE. I work with statistics and numbers everyday. Statistics and numbers are always good to back your position, but the three things you have to remember when using them are sources, sources and more sources. Bad Sources = Bad Info.




Perhaps i took my statistics from a source you don't trust so heres another source, USA today ,an article posted in 2007 states that 74 million Americans have passports,so take that 74 million and divide it by the population of America which stands at 303 million according to THIS SITE,then that by my math works out at 25% there or there abouts,which is what i said initially,i have seen it posted as high as 33% on some sites,but even if i give you 33% thats still only a third of the population.

Now i understand there are many reasons for this,but to go into them would be taking this thread off on to a tangent.

Futile wrote:
No one is saying that you are not entitled to your opinion, but a generalized statement like the one you made can be classified as stereotypical in nature, whether meant it to be "stereotypical" or not. Once again you group Americans as a whole. I have been to every continent in the world except Antartica, lived in 3 different countries and travelled to over 21. I speak only for myself not the general public.



Im not grouping Americans as a whole,i am using that particular statistic to defend your accusation thrown at me that i am ignorant,which you then went on to say must be because i am not well travelled.




Futile wrote:

truespeed wrote:
Which implies that non Americans are only against the death penalty because they are not American and don't understand what it is to live in America and think like an American,isn't this you stereotyping Americans and non Americans?


No. I am not stereotyping. If you had read the entire thread you would see that a "majority" of the posters on that thread who oppose the death penalty are non Americans. I am well travelled and well versed in several different cultures but I do not claim to know their judicial system or process. This is what I said

Futile wrote:
It appears that a majority of the posters against the Death Penalty are non Americans. I do not mean to insult anyone’s intelligence but I think that a quick FYI on the US Judicial system may clear up a few misconceptions that I discovered while reading this thread. Let me start off by saying that our fine judicial system is flawed and far from perfect as is everyone’s judicial system. Everyone is innocent until proven guilty. There is no one man, (judge) saying that this individual is guilty. They are tried by a jury of their peers and the judge passes sentencing according to the laws in place. In some cases there are even separate hearing altogether concerning the sentencing. This isn’t the wild, wild west, where the sentence is carried out immediately. The average time for most Death Row inmates is 8 to 10 years. As long as there are appeals and avenues open a judge will pass sentencing but not issue an execution date. There are some inmates who have been on Death Row for 15 plus years. And yes there maybe someone who is innocent of the crime that they are accused of but they were found guilty. In our court systems you don’t even have to prove you are innocent. You just have to prove that there is reasonable doubt that you committed the crime. I am sure that more people who are guilty have walked than those who are innocent and found guilty.


I did not say or even insinuate anywhere in that post that they did not know what it is or was to be American. I gave an FYI on the American Judicial system that is all. Please correct me if I missed something.


If the majority of those against are non American and the majority in favour were American,then don't you think that geography and culture has played a part in their and your way of thinking on the subject.



Futile wrote:

truespeed wrote:
I know your in favour of the death penalty but can i ask you,dare i ask you,are you pro gun? Are you anti abortionist?


You may dare. I am "pro gun" as you say. I have several firearms of different size and calibur. My children know how to handle and use a firearm. The best type of gun control starts with knowledge and handling.

And I guess that I break your mold on the anti abortion issue. I am pro abortion. It is the woman decision whether or not to have a child.


You didn't break my mold,i am aware that not every American is anti-abortionist,just that those who are,are very vocal about it,the subject in the UK wouldn't raise an eye brow,but its a different matter in the USA.


My original post was a question,and i did clarify it by saying it was a generalisation,but i will say that having read back a few of your posts,even without you saying where you were from,just from the gun threads alone,i would know you were American,its not a bad thing,guns are very much part of the American culture,you shouldn't feel the need to defend yourself so much.

All countries and cultures are victims of stereotypes,your "euro" one i find quite amusing as it lumps all the european countries into one,which i could say only an American would do,which is true,but i would probably get accused of stereotyping again.


kerryworkman wrote:
I am American, as a result I probably have a biased opinion on this subject. I personally would think it would be hard to peg a person as being from the United States, based only on their views or beliefs (perhaps spelling, word choice, or grammar would be more effective dependent on where they went to school or grew up).
The one thing that I didn't notice anyone else mention is that it is a giant melting pot here, every different culture, race, and belief system is represented in one way or another. Many of my neighbors don't even speak the same language, so how would you know where they are posting from? You don't have to be a native English speaker to become an American Citizen, one of my friends was telling that when his mom and dad became citizens they were given tests and instructions in their native language. Would you know that they are Americans based on their views?
The other thing is that opinions vary dramatically from one part of this country to another. The differences between rural and urban parts of the country, the differences between people on the east and west coast, not to mention the southern and northern states. People do not share the same views from city to city, or home to home, so how can we all share the view's expressed in the original post? I personally know that I do not share those views.


I think first generation Americans will still be culturally more like their country of origin,but give it another generation then i think they would be fully embedded in American culture and their way of thinking,even if they have a different belief system,even if they are from a different part of the country,the one thing you all share is American culture,and all that it brings,from your politics to your media,it shapes your way of thinking,its shapes your world view.

i am not saying all Americans think the same,just that on certain issues,like those i mentioned,Americans tend to be more passionate in their opinions (for or against) than non Americans.
Futile
truespeed wrote:
Perhaps i took my statistics from a source you don't trust so heres another source, USA today ,an article posted in 2007 states that 74 million Americans have passports,so take that 74 million and divide it by the population of America which stands at 303 million according to THIS SITE,then that by my math works out at 25% there or there abouts,which is what i said initially,i have seen it posted as high as 33% on some sites,but even if i give you 33% thats still only a third of the population.


It had nothing to do with trusting or not trusting the source you used. As I stated I didn't even look at the source until someone else brought it to my attention that I should. Everyone’s views and opinions are different and anyone involved in a conversation will use sources to support their views just as anyone with a different view will use sources to discredit their opposition and support theirs. It soon becomes a regressive endless circle. So I don’t play the numbers game. Anyone who works with numbers will tell you that the numbers don’t lie but you can make them say anything you if you know how too. As I mentioned I gave you the benefit of the doubt. I just found it funny that the same website that you used for the source discredited the information.

truespeed wrote:
If the majority of those against are non American and the majority in favour were American,then don't you think that geography and culture has played a part in their and your way of thinking on the subject.


Yes, I do that is why I agreed with Fatality in my first post. We are all creatures and products of our environment. We, (Americans), are very passionate about our freedoms and choices from who to vote for to which soda to drink and we defend whatever our stances are with fervor.



truespeed wrote:
All countries and cultures are victims of stereotypes,your "euro" one i find quite amusing as it lumps all the european countries into one,which i could say only an American would do,which is true,but i would probably get accused of stereotyping again.


Yes the “Euros” comment was exaggerated and ridiculous on purpose to make my stereotype point but in retrospect I should have added skiing, car making, beer drinking, and money laundering to include a few more countries Laughing . And no you would not be accused of being stereotypical again because unfortunately there is enough truth in that statement to be legitimate.
Ghost Rider103
Well I am an American, but I can usually tell wether people are NOT American. They usually have really poor grammar and spelling, and usually have a problem putting together a sentence that makes any sense.

That's only the people that don't speak very much English though. So people from the UK are usually hard to tell wether they are American or not unless I see them use "mate" then I know they are from the UK. Laughing
PatTheGreat42
You can usually tell when the Americans are typing by when they say "Hey, I'm an American!"

You can usually always tell by the fact that they're always right, are willing to tell you they're right, their overall sexy attitude and mannerisms when they type, and the fact that, well, America is freakin' awesome and we totally invented the internet and you didn't so you should be thankful we even let you have it.

I mean you can tell when Americans are typing because they don't use the word "loo."

Right-o!
deanhills
kerryworkman wrote:
The one thing that I didn't notice anyone else mention is that it is a giant melting pot here, every different culture, race, and belief system is represented in one way or another. Many of my neighbors don't even speak the same language, so how would you know where they are posting from? You don't have to be a native English speaker to become an American Citizen, one of my friends was telling that when his mom and dad became citizens they were given tests and instructions in their native language. Would you know that they are Americans based on their views?
The other thing is that opinions vary dramatically from one part of this country to another. The differences between rural and urban parts of the country, the differences between people on the east and west coast, not to mention the southern and northern states. People do not share the same views from city to city, or home to home, so how can we all share the view's expressed in the original post? I personally know that I do not share those views.


Think this was the best reply yet. The melting pot being so true. As well as the variety of states and rural vs. urban. And yes, totally agreed, I would not be able to tell whether someone is American by the e-mail that has been written. Could be part of the melting pot, or from the country of origin or from a different country altogether.
sondosia
My parents are I are Russian/Israeli by heritage and we've been living in the US for eleven years. Yeah, there are differences in culture, obviously. Israelis are more connected to each other, whereas in America it's often every man for himself, particularly in the suburbs. Russians tend to be more cynical and distrustful of authority (for good reason), while in America (and you might argue with me here) most people seem to trust the government.

But those are wide, sweeping culture things. I don't really notice that many differences in individual people. I know people who are very pro-guns and many who aren't. I know pro-choice and pro-life people. I know intelligent people and I know people who aren't the brightest crayons in the box. I know people who don't spell or write well, and others who express their thoughts very eloquently.

It's silly to say that there aren't ANY differences between Americans and people from other countries, because of course there are. People are the products of both their genetics and their environment. The environment in America is not like the environment in France, Africa, or China.

But it's just as inaccurate to portray Americans as a homogenous group with tendencies towards certain opinions as opposed to others. If you think that, you've clearly never been here.
gr8inferno
Not me, Can't really tell. hmm
tony
Do you think I am American? (go with your first guess without looking at the "location" section near this post Wink
truespeed
tony wrote:
Do you think I am American? (go with your first guess without looking at the "location" section near this post Wink


For experiment purposes you should of removed your location from your profile,then we could of read back a few of your previous posts to make an educated guess.
gugusm
Yeah, I can tell who of you are American by location in your profiles Wink
Melacos
Well, guess there's some truth in the assumption, but at the same time I got a totally different image of what the general idea was in the US when I travelled there a couple of years ago. And what's more, the majority who'd go to this site aren't the most extreme conservatives in the first place - I think at least...
eday2010
truespeed wrote:
Re: the title??

Most of the Americans on here (I know its a generalization and there will be exceptions) ,have very strong (pro) views on gun control,the death penalty,anti abortion,whereas people from outside of the USA seem to take a more liberal and level view to such subjects,so can you tell where in the world a poster is from what he types,and more specifically can you tell if they are American?


Does it really freakin' matter? Who cares, man.
carlospro7
I guess I can sometimes tell who is an American by what they say, though not by the generalization. For instance, If I see the word "ain't" in a post, I'm likely to think that an American wrote it, since I hear a lot of Americans say that word, although I guess it could any English speaker.
scriptedsymphony
truespeed wrote:
Re: the title??

Most of the Americans on here (I know its a generalization and there will be exceptions) ,have very strong (pro) views on gun control,the death penalty,anti abortion,whereas people from outside of the USA seem to take a more liberal and level view to such subjects,so can you tell where in the world a poster is from what he types,and more specifically can you tell if they are American?


It is true that many Americans do have, shall I say, "misguided" views on certain subjects, but I think that it's a bit harsh to generalize all Americans that way. I don't want to start a war, because I for one am not very "into" guns or death or any of that. Then again, I suppose some of my friends are like that. It depends--at least I think it does--on the spiritual position of the county. But religion is a touchy subject as well, and I don't really want to walk on thin ice. The basis for individuals is how those people were raised. I was raised with a very sensitive mother who always used to freak at the first sign of violence, so I do not support any violent acts at all, and I am American. Liberal vs. conservative is found in all parts of the globe, I believe, and it's not fair to point fingers at any country.
eday2010
scriptedsymphony wrote:

It is true that many Americans do have, shall I say, "misguided" views on certain subjects, but I think that it's a bit harsh to generalize all Americans that way.


Misguided according to who?
Related topics
I am American...
Medical Absolutism, Cary Angell
Different types of RAM on a motherboard?
Teaching English Abroad
SAT- Longer Time Given for Wealthy Kids
Name a (wacky?) English language cultural difference.
What is your favourite movie?
Bermuda Triangle
Torture : It's a no-brainer
What words(/phrases) do you think should be "Banished&q
American Dollar Coin
Can i upload any types of file to 'Frihost' server?
Amsterdam
What's your favourite dish? (food)
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.