FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Fallout 3

achowles
Okay, seeing as the only other Fallout series thread was made a long time before this game was released, I think that a proper Fallout 3 thread is warranted.

What do you think of Bethesda's translation of the old classic RPG series?
What things do you like about it?
What could have been better?
What mods or expansions do you hope to see?
Any advice you wish to share with the rest of us?

Me? I love it. I think that some things have been lost in the translation, but a lot more has been gained. Overall it's a lot more fun and involving than its predecessors.

Certain things could have been done better though. Collision detection seems to be very poor in third person which cripples VATS. Luckily, you really don't need it. There is one thing in particular I think was very weak about the ending, but I won't go into it here. Obviously it could have been more stable too...

A mod that improves the interface and makes it more PC orientated would be a substantial improvement.

As for advice: master the art of sneaking. The amount of damage you can inflict while sneaking is massive and can take down some tough adversaries in one blow. Alternatively you can drop a grenade in their pocket which is always fun. Just remember to run away fast.
David_Pardy
I just got it, and I'm loving it! I haven't played the first Fallout games though, so I have no real basis of comparison.

I will say though, that the quality of the textures is light years ahead of Oblivion, and I was seriously impressed by Oblivion when I first got my hands on that as well.

I do like the fact that you have to actually get better at the skills to actually make life easier. In every single other shooter, you will ALWAYS hit exactly where you aim, no matter the calibre of the weapon. Not so in Fallout 3 Very Happy.

So far, I love the game. I got tripped out the first couple of times I played it, when I stopped playing and drove up the street to pick up a pizza, the real world seemed surreal, and when I went to drink water out of the tap I was a bit concerned about the radiation... Great game!
Ankhanu
There's a thread here http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-85497.html (currently only a couple threads down on the first page of this forum) that covers Fallout (the series and 3) started nearly a year ago, updated under a week ago containing a few thoughts on Fallout 3 since its release.

David_Pardy wrote:
I do like the fact that you have to actually get better at the skills to actually make life easier. In every single other shooter, you will ALWAYS hit exactly where you aim, no matter the calibre of the weapon. Not so in Fallout 3 Very Happy.

That's because it's not a shooter, it's a 3D RPG.
achowles
I mentioned the other thread in the opening sentence. Given that it's to do with the prequels and posted a year before this title's release, it's safe to assume it's completely irrelevant to this thread.

David_Pardy wrote:

So far, I love the game. I got tripped out the first couple of times I played it, when I stopped playing and drove up the street to pick up a pizza, the real world seemed surreal, and when I went to drink water out of the tap I was a bit concerned about the radiation... Great game!

Weapon degradation and your own skills with that weapon class can both affect your accuracy. Especially in VATS. At first I thought the weapon degradation was a bit overboard, but given that most of them are nearly 200 years old... I suppose that's to be expected. =p

Yeah, Fallout 3 is a bit engrossing to say the least. When you start looking around and seeing things you can make weapons out of you know the game's left a mark on you.
David_Pardy
Ankhanu wrote:

That's because it's not a shooter, it's a 3D RPG.

I know that. It's just the first 3D RPG I've ever played with such a system.
driftingfe3s
I haven't played the other fallouts either, but i'm enjoying this one. I've been playing for a week or so and I've found it very addicting. The last gaming session I had I ending going to sleep at 7 AM becuase I was so into the game.

I haven't beat it yet, I've been doing a bunch of side quest and just trying to explore ALL the areas. Hopefully I can beat it soon so I can start getting some sleep! But then agian I have 2 other games lined up after I beat this one Shocked
frecos
The best seller recently.
adrian123
does that mean that Fall Out 3 has been released now right ive been waiting for this game for a good long while. I hope there are still copys left in my local supermarket!!!
Adrian
Helios
What a great game! I finished most of the quests, and the only thing bad about it is the fact that it's short (including side quests of course), and a little bit buggy.

I didn't think I'd enjoy the whole post-apocalyptic environment, but they made it well enough.
It's heavily based on Oblivion too, which is a good thing! The humor in the quests is there like it was in Oblivion, for example.

I'd like them to release expansions soon, with more quests and an option to tune onto your own radio station. GNR gets boring after a while Wink

Oh, my character: 100 in Small Guns, Repair and Melee. Works quite well. He's wearing the T51 Power Armour found in Fort Constantine after talking to that Ghoul guy in the underworld, the one who sent you to kill people. Do that quest if you haven't already!

Advice for the people who started playing: invest in the small guns skill (that's the stuff you get to play with at most when starting, but you don't need to master it) and repair - master this one, it'll save you money and time; also complete the main quest only until the point you get Power Armour and a companion. After that do only side quests.
Ankhanu
Helios wrote:
The humor in the quests is there like it was in Oblivion, for example.

Nay, sir, the humour is there like it was in the old Fallout games a decade ago Wink
driftingfe3s
Anyone beat this game yet? How did you guys feel about the ending?

I didn't like very much. I felt kind of let down.
sarbull
who has this game? Very Happy please , i really need it :d
sarbull
great game , thx
sarbull
i have a game that is like this one but much more graphics ...
Nutteloos
Reading your comments makes me all the more excited about this game. Can't wait till I have the time to give it a try!
vicar013
YeS, Ace game. I've heard its too short but you can draw it out for a while with all the free exploration.

My fave aspect is the environmental memory. Stuff stays where it is, where ever you killed it.
The story and atmosphere are really involving, and the character builder is the best I've seen yet. With a mirror handy I managed to mould my ugly mug to a precise detail... then you can accessorise... ohhhh tis a great game.
mwsupra
I love the graphics and such, and was actually surprised it could run on my system, but doesn't even meet the requirements. I must've restarted a few times as I changed my mind on how I wanted my character to be. I don't like the fact that it is limited (only having certain number of skill points instead of being able to train it like Oblivion) and just the nature of it I prefer Oblivion better as an RPG. But definately gotta love blowing people up in slow motion.
milk
I like how you can eat people.
That's about it.
milk
I like how you can eat people.
That's about it.
achowles
driftingfe3s wrote:
Anyone beat this game yet? How did you guys feel about the ending?

I didn't like very much. I felt kind of let down.

I won't add any spoilers here, but I agree with what appears to be the common consensus regarding the ending and that's that it needed a 'Fawkes ending'. Those who reached the end with Fawkes will know what I mean.

But yes, the ending was the weakest point in the game. Luckily, you don't really have to concern yourself with the main storyline at all. But it does yield certain advantages if you play though most of it.
achowles
mwsupra wrote:
I love the graphics and such, and was actually surprised it could run on my system, but doesn't even meet the requirements. I must've restarted a few times as I changed my mind on how I wanted my character to be. I don't like the fact that it is limited (only having certain number of skill points instead of being able to train it like Oblivion) and just the nature of it I prefer Oblivion better as an RPG. But definately gotta love blowing people up in slow motion.

Well, we'll agree to disagree on Oblivion. To me, the levelling system made it pointless. Given how everything levelled up with you, it could even be counter productive if you didn't distribute points perfectly. Given the fact that it's perfectly possible to complete without levelling up at all, I may go as far as to question its validity as an RPG altogether. It seemed more like an action adventure than a real RPG.

Fallout 3 does indeed limit your options. What that means is that you can't be a Jack of all trades and you'll have to play the game through several times if you want to see all it has to offer. So you are indeed playing a role.
mexican
i heard from alot of my friends that it wasnt good i dont know weather i should get it or not im still debating
filesharing
The atmosphere is great when you play on 26" @ best graphic settings and surround sound. You feel like you're in the game Very Happy

But most people find it boring after few hours, because there is so little to do. And after some time you have also seen enough of zombie heads flying through air... Most of the time I find myself searching for enemies, because the Quests are so boring...
Helios
Ankhanu wrote:
Helios wrote:
The humor in the quests is there like it was in Oblivion, for example.

Nay, sir, the humour is there like it was in the old Fallout games a decade ago Wink

I'll have to agree with you because I haven't played the previous games! Laughing
I don't really remember why though Confused
Nutteloos
I've picked up the game a few days ago, and I have to say they did manage to catch the right atmosphere. I haven't progressed much further than the introductory scenes, so I can't really comment on much else - nevertheless, the atmosphere is there. Which was the point I was most concerned about.
filesharing
Quote:
Nay, sir, the humour is there like it was in the old Fallout games a decade ago
thats true, on some conversations i head to smile Very Happy its fun talking with wastelanders
rightclickscott
So, the game is pretty much awesome, and I'm sure you all know that, but the thing that annoys me about it, aside from the incredible amount of bugs in the game, is how much like Oblivion it is. Sure, I like free roaming, expansive games where you can do whatever the hell you want, but if you don't play the game like Oblivion instead of the traditional FPS, then you're going to get absolutely no where. That's why this game is best classified as an FPS RPG, which just seems kinda weird. Sure, it's fun as all hell, and you cannot see the whole game in one day, everything just kinda... blends together. All the tunnels look exactly the same, the highways that loom over you eventually get old, and radiation just doesn't seem like a threat in the least bit. Not only that, but the Behemoth fights leave much fun behind. I mean, you could have fun in Behemoth fights, but the game always stresses being strategic. If you fight a Behemoth strategically, it just ruins the fun of the fight. However, if you try running in, guns a blazin', you'll die. You will die. It probably won't even be by the Behemoth, it'd probably be from your own mini-nuke backfiring on you. Aside from my minor complaints, I still f*cking love this game and can't stop playing it.
r4inm4ker
Looking from the reviews here, it seems to be a must play game! I played Fallout2 years ago and it left a deep impression in me. What a great game it was. I must get this one as soon as possible!! Very Happy
traxion
jea, fallout 3 is the game of the year for me

i've got it on the ps3, and with some small bugs and frame drops) the game is great. the area where you can walk though is bug, very big

im fast back afther mine ps3, @fallout 3
QrafTee
Other than being extremely buggy and suddenly freezing from time to time, the game is pretty fun to get into. You'd think more patches were out for the PC version to fix tons of bugs; yes I would like the Fallout 3 Editor and all, but the game needs to be fixed before releasing a editor which can possibly cause more bugs.
Spartan
I just got the game. I find it to be amazing. I do have to agree with Helios that it is short (I haven't beaten it but I saw the achievement list). I'm level 7 right now, going to play it again soon. Again, great game.
QrafTee
Spartan wrote:
I just got the game. I find it to be amazing. I do have to agree with Helios that it is short (I haven't beaten it but I saw the achievement list). I'm level 7 right now, going to play it again soon. Again, great game.

It's not short if you go through all the side quests and explore the whole place. It is pretty short if you only do the main missions--which is actually quite hard to accomplish because everyone you talk to wants you to do something for them.
lethaltriad
just realized there is a Level 20 cap which kinda sucks at first but I get their reasoning for doing it. I saw the patch online to get to level 30 and 40 but gonna play it over again with a new character and try out some different characteristics changes this time around. Hopefully it will last a while longer until another nice game gets released.
filesharing
Quote:
I saw the patch online to get to level 30 and 40...
has a big disadvantage - you cant be evil after lvl 20
Nutteloos
I suppose it's also more fun to just start over, rather than play the same character for 10 or 20 more levels... it'll probably give you a different view of things instead of the same thing all over again.
QrafTee
So I beat the game... the ending blows chunks. Oh well, I'm going to play it over again as the "bad guy."
lethaltriad
filesharing wrote:
Quote:
I saw the patch online to get to level 30 and 40...
has a big disadvantage - you cant be evil after lvl 20

I think I also saw that there are errors if you put any attribute over 100, possible game crashes. Time to start over as a renegade Twisted Evil
achowles
Spartan wrote:

It's not short at all. I clocked up more than 40 hrs and still didn't explore about a 1/3 - 1/2 of the map. Naturally that means I've done far less than half the number of possible quests too. Plus given the number of options you have, there's more than enough replay value too. The Fallout series has never been about doing the main quest and nothing else.

QrafTee wrote:
Other than being extremely buggy and suddenly freezing from time to time, the game is pretty fun to get into. You'd think more patches were out for the PC version to fix tons of bugs; yes I would like the Fallout 3 Editor and all, but the game needs to be fixed before releasing a editor which can possibly cause more bugs.

Yeah, I've only got the one patch so far. It does improve matters, but there's plenty of scope for improvement yet. The reason that the GECK was released so soon is because many fans were calling for it to be released far more so than they were interested in more patches. People want the ability to fix the things they see as problems with the game. Such as the ending, I suppose.
andersonic
Big fan of post-apocalyptic things!

I love this game. Played it through twice, once good, once bad. Going to do it again keeping my karma level neutral. It was more fun for me being bad, I just love killing things, shame about the kids though..

Only downside, is I have it on PS3, it's full of glitches and there is going to be no DLC for it. Hopefully this will change at some point..
hearurscream
It's a pretty awesome game in my opinion. The most impressive thing, IMO, is that the world extends as far as you can see. When I first started the game I thought there was no way I could walk as far as I could see without hitting invisible walls.
phuchicu
What's the game like?
I remember that Kongregate held a contest. The prize was Fallout 3 for the Wii...
The trailer looks pretty cool, but it looks like an action shooter?
QrafTee
phuchicu wrote:
What's the game like?
I remember that Kongregate held a contest. The prize was Fallout 3 for the Wii...
The trailer looks pretty cool, but it looks like an action shooter?

Fallout 3 for the Wii... there's something wrong with that. I don't think it exists.
achowles
@phuchicu

Heh, yeah, as stated there's no such thing as Fallout 3 for the Wii. There never will be unless they change the whole nature of the game. But in any real sense that would be a different game with the Fallout 3 name slapped on it.

Fallout 3 is a big open world post apocalyptic RPG. It has a lot of dark humour and bloody violence. It's not the kind of game to go into expecting a linear FPS.
Ankhanu
phuchicu wrote:
What's the game like?

Did you consider reading any of the prior posts describing the game and player experiences? They might be a good place to start.
bloodrider
It seems a great game. I've installed and played it a bit, but as I'm occupied now with my work and studies I can't (shouldn't Razz) play.
The game gathered my attention on his first version, 2D... oooold times Laughing, at that time I saw a friend playing and it was interesting but I wasn't really in the mood for RPG in my young times Razz
Now I'm a little addicted to RPG, so when I heard about Fallout 3 I managed to get it right away Wink Pity is that I don't have time for now Sad Next month I'll have Very Happy
Ankhanu
bloodrider wrote:
It seems a great game. I've installed and played it a bit, but as I'm occupied now with my work and studies I can't (shouldn't Razz) play.
The game gathered my attention on his first version, 2D... oooold times Laughing, at that time I saw a friend playing and it was interesting but I wasn't really in the mood for RPG in my young times Razz
Now I'm a little addicted to RPG, so when I heard about Fallout 3 I managed to get it right away Wink Pity is that I don't have time for now Sad Next month I'll have Very Happy

I'm in the exact same situation. I've been denying myself access to Fallout 3 (and a couple other funt things) until I finish writing my thesis. Damn "priorities" and "responsibilities" Razz
filesharing
doesn't work well for me ^^
Nutteloos
It might take a few patches or driver updates to get it running, but it's worth it. Very much so.
QrafTee
filesharing wrote:
doesn't work well for me ^^

What are your specs?
Kelcey
I'm not typically someone that loves western rpgs, but I actually really liked Fallout a lot. The main story was pretty short and lame, but the side missions were pretty cool. The game was pretty addicting. Though the bugs were very annoying. Also, the game is too depressing to play for a long period of time.
Ankhanu
Kelcey wrote:
I'm not typically someone that loves western rpgs.

Unless you mean western as in Western Hemisphere/American... Fallout isn't really western themed, it's post apocalyptic. Kinda hard to have a wasted world where people struggle just to survive and not have it a little depressing Wink
Nutteloos
The theme being a little depressed is totally made up for by the incredible taste of humor. I'm so glad they managed to preserve that from the earlier games.
QrafTee
Ankhanu wrote:
Kelcey wrote:
I'm not typically someone that loves western rpgs.

Unless you mean western as in Western Hemisphere/American... Fallout isn't really western themed, it's post apocalyptic. Kinda hard to have a wasted world where people struggle just to survive and not have it a little depressing Wink

He means made in the West--as opposed to the East like Japan or Korea.
Nutteloos
QrafTee wrote:

Come to think of it, I'd like to see some 'western' RPGs. (as in, set in the wild west) Very Happy
lavitran
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD
achowles
Anyone tried Operation Anchorage yet? From what I've heard it's a lot more FPS orientated than normal. I've got it but due to starting over with a new character, I haven't got that far yet.
Jamatu
I haven't played Fallout 1 or 2 so I can't say much about the differences. The game play is great though.
Moshkin_Khan
Just ordered this last night, hopefully it'll come either today or tommorow!
Really looking forward to it I know some friends that have been playing it alot and it'll be one of the first few games that i've actually played on my 360 as I just got enough money to buy some. =]
Nutteloos
I'm a tad disappointed that they again try to milk this game by publishing separate mission packs for €5,- (or whatever) a piece. Just doesn't work for me, it's a big turnoff.
achowles
Expansion packs have been common for successful titles since the mid 90s. DLC is just an evolution of that. Hell, even before the mid 90s ID was releasing several hundred versions of Doom as was Capcom with Street Fighter 2.

I'd prefer to have one expansion that cost more and delivered more. But in all honesty, many expansions priced at Ł15+ have delivered far less than this Ł6 offering. So to me, it's not such a bad deal. Just not a particularly great one.

About the only thing that's going to justifiably irk some people is their deal with Microsoft which is leaving people who bought the PS3 version in the cold.
QrafTee
Nutteloos wrote:
QrafTee wrote:

Come to think of it, I'd like to see some 'western' RPGs. (as in, set in the wild west) Very Happy

Wild Arms is your calling.
JorgeArroyo
I really love this game, it's unique.
samrobson1
I think the best quality that bethesda emulated is the games' replayability
achowles
samrobson1 wrote:
I think the best quality that bethesda emulated is the games' replayability

Yeah, it's certainly got a lot of that by itself. Add the DLC and mods to the equation and you've got a game with quite a formidable replay value.
Nutteloos
That I agree is a good thing, Oblivion was swarming in all kinds of player-made mods, and I have no doubt there will be a plethora of them for Fallout too.
achowles
There are already quite a few mods that extend the gameplay. From simple enhancements, to new locations and quests. Enclave Commander looks to be the most advanced one out right now. But I haven't actually tried that one yet.
Nutteloos
Enclave Commander indeed looks promising, I might give that a try soon - thanks for the tip. Smile
wh0lve
I have not played the previous Fallout games but looking at the screenshots i think they made a entirely different game. But i like it very much and i think it is a very good successor of the Fallout series.
I like the theme very much. The Post-Apocalyptic theme really speaks to me.
I think they could have added some more cities because i don't really have the feeling i had with oblivion. The world lives but still it feels a little death to me.
I haven't given this much of thought but i think a new area or some new cities would be a nice addition.
Just play the game and experience it.

Wh0lve
achowles
wh0lve wrote:
I have not played the previous Fallout games but looking at the screenshots i think they made a entirely different game. But i like it very much and i think it is a very good successor of the Fallout series.
I like the theme very much. The Post-Apocalyptic theme really speaks to me.
I think they could have added some more cities because i don't really have the feeling i had with oblivion. The world lives but still it feels a little death to me.
I haven't given this much of thought but i think a new area or some new cities would be a nice addition.
Just play the game and experience it.

Wh0lve

I played the originals and this game does a good job of retaining most of what made them good while giving the gameplay the necessary overhaul. I've also played a bit of Van Buren (Black Isle's version of Fallout 3) and that ditched a lot of the same things that the actual Fallout 3 did. So I'm not bothered by that.

I feel that there should have been a wider variety of characters. There was a clear focus on making them believable rather than allowing for the weird and wonderful characters of the originals. Plus, it's pretty obvious that 99% of them were made with the same character generator.

Yeah, I agree on the cities. I would love to see something like Barter Town in there. Something that's a bit like a raider town only not completely hostile to you. Apparently The Pitt is a bit like that so we'll have to see.
Noremac
I love everything about this game, except the ending, but the fact that I'd spent like 100 hours on oblivion helped when I started playing. So awesome.
Noremac
I love everything about this game, except the ending, but the fact that I'd spent like 100 hours on oblivion helped when I started playing. So awesome.
Diablosblizz
I don't like the game, I will give it credit for the beautiful scenery that it does portray, great great job. It's not the type of RPG I am looking for. I am looking for one such as WoW, but not WoW and for the xBox 360. Thus, I have found my true love: Fable 2. It's just the game I've been looking for! (I beat Fable 2 - so if you have any ideas for me please PM me!!)

Back to Fallout 3, I wish there was more to the game, I mean I only played it for 2 hours and got bored (thank god for renting). I found that the beginning took WAY to long, I mean everybody that plays video games knows how to do things. The story line seemed pretty interesting, I would have liked to continue on, but I just wasn't into it. I did like the story, why did the father leave the vault? Why was the vault created? Why the flipping heck is there a nuke in the middle of a city (morons)?

I will, no must, give credit to it's wonderful world, it's amazing.
Vladalf
Diablosblizz wrote:
I will give it credit for the beautiful scenery.

Yes, that's true. Out of all it's qualities this game succeded with the open ended world. It's ok from my point of view but washington could have been made more open ended aswell, I felt too obliged to take the same path as other times.
Vladk
Diablosblizz
In comparison to the world Fable 2, I would love to have seen Fable 2 take note of this, ugh! I would have loved to been able to run around aimlessly and still be able to teleport quickly to places! The open world is simply amazing.
Moshkin_Khan
It was mindnumbing, im used to jumping into a game straight away and some action, The whole intro was so long and annoying I couldnt wait to get outside, which i still havent because I got bored so quickly and decided to play something else.
Vladalf
Moshkin_Khan wrote:
It was mindnumbing, im used to jumping into a game straight away and some action, The whole intro was so long and annoying I couldnt wait to get outside, which i still havent because I got bored so quickly and decided to play something else.

I shared the same sentiment and you'll keep having it until you unistall it. It's too slow paced. I mean, I absolutely love story and gameplay over graphics and *pow pow pow* but it dosen't have that feeling like in old CRPG's where you feel like the character.
Vladk
achowles
Moshkin_Khan wrote:

Yeah, I wouldn't bother if I was you. The Fallout series are regarded as the only true RPG games on any gaming platform. They aren't meant for people who are looking for a plotless SHUMP.
Nutteloos
Moshkin_Khan wrote:

Fallout is not the game you're looking for. You obviously don't care about plot, conversation or strategy. If you think this introductory sequence included too much conversation though, I urge you to stay away from games like Baldur's Gate or Planescape:Torment.
achowles
OK The Pitt DLC was released today. Anyone got it yet? Anyone going to get it? Let me know your thoughts on this latest addition to the Fallout universe.

To me, it looks tempting. But I'm going to need to see some reviews of it first. Operation Anchorage wasn't too bad and the additional weapons and equipment obtained at the end made it worthwhile enough. But not allowing you to repeat the simulation along with the general abandonment of Fallout's RPG strengths dented the value. So all in all I probably wouldn't have bought it had I known that first.
valadez
I was goign to get it today but I have no money for MS points. Tomorrow is my day to get it though. I haven't played Operation Anchorage yet as I was finishing with another game but I'm glad I didn't.
As now I can come in and have 2 updates to play.

When it came out though I spent an unreal amount of hours playing, easily over 150 hours. I was obsessed. I truly love what Bethesda do.
Ghengis
I'm really looking forward to the Pitt -- if nothing else, I'll pay them 10 bucks to raise my level cap to 30. Yes, I know I shouldn't actually come out and *say* it... bad to encourage them. But still, it's true.
Nutteloos
There's 3rd party mods for that, you know... Wink
DANTHEMAN69
ain't played this one yet but it looks really good game play like another game i've played so should be gd
achowles
Ghengis wrote:
I'm really looking forward to the Pitt -- if nothing else, I'll pay them 10 bucks to raise my level cap to 30. Yes, I know I shouldn't actually come out and *say* it... bad to encourage them. But still, it's true.

1. You can get a mods for that. One will even raise it to 100. But don't expect that to be counterbalanced by new tough units and augmented by perks. Broken Steel will add those too.

2. Yes, as mentioned it's Broken Steel, not the Pitt, which increases the level cap. The Pitt is still pretty good and introduces a pretty impressive region along with weapons and armour.
Nutteloos
I've played some more Fallout3 lately and noticed something odd... performance on my pc was remarkable better in outside regions. When indoors, my framerate drops to about 5 fps, while outdoors it's still very playable. Anyone have ideas what might cause this?
achowles
Nutteloos wrote:
I've played some more Fallout3 lately and noticed something odd... performance on my pc was remarkable better in outside regions. When indoors, my framerate drops to about 5 fps, while outdoors it's still very playable. Anyone have ideas what might cause this?

That could be for a few reasons. The increased detail coupled with the lack of scaling for one thing. The outside environments are subject to massive scaling even with the options cranked right up.

Another thing is the increased character count per m˛. All in all, they're usually just more detailed with more going on.
achowles
OK the Broken Steel DLC is on the verge of getting released for PC and Xbox 360. So I thought I'd ask if anyone's going to get it?

Apparently, it features an extended main quest line with no "final" ending. Meaning you can play past it. Naturally it also includes some new environments and enemies. Throw in some new weapons and armour and it's already shaping up nicely. But added to that is the fact you can level up to 30 with new perks and achievements related to that. So for a DLC, it seems to be offering quite a lot. But I'm still a little bit uncertain given the problems with previous DLC.

I just hope they plan on dedicating some time after it's done to fixing the major bugs in both the game and DLC as the game is less stable than Tom Cruise on crack right now.
valadez
I am definately gettign that update. I haven't played the previous two so I'm going to have a field day when broken Steel comes out.

I did start playing it again 2 weeks ago but found out about Broken Steel so I refused to play it again until it comes out.

I also can't wait for the level cap increase, new perks, enemys and the new weapons look incredible. I can't wait to get my hands on them.

*MINOR SPOILER WARNING*

I've been on The Vault wiki loads having a look at all of it. Like the Feral Ghoul Reaver, he actually looks like he can take a couple of hits.

And the Puppies! perk. At least I won't have to worry about him dying instantly all the time now lol

*SPOILER END*

At least getting the perfect build will be a lot easier now lol.

Will anybodyelse be playing from the very start to make sure they experience any possible changes in the main quest line?

Only 2 days to go. I'm so excited. Fallout is going to own my life again so soon.
Nutteloos
achowles wrote:
That could be for a few reasons. The increased detail coupled with the lack of scaling for one thing. The outside environments are subject to massive scaling even with the options cranked right up.

Another thing is the increased character count per m˛. All in all, they're usually just more detailed with more going on.

Hm, guess I'll just have to deal with it, then. Shame though - it's a real turn-off for me.
achowles
Nutteloos wrote:
achowles wrote:

Hm, guess I'll just have to deal with it, then. Shame though - it's a real turn-off for me.

I can't say I've ever noticed any slowdown though. Maybe reducing some of your settings will fix it.

Also: downloading Broken Steel as I write this. So for those who want it, it's out now.
achowles
Well, after a bout of epic stupidity on the part of MS, I've actually downloaded it now. You can send in Fawkes! Those who have completed the game will know what I'm talking about. Dammit, they actually listened! Definitely a good DLC.
Nutteloos
achowles wrote:
I can't say I've ever noticed any slowdown though. Maybe reducing some of your settings will fix it.

Running at bare minimum required spec, minimal settings... I oughtta just get a better rig. Smile
achowles
Nutteloos wrote:
Running at bare minimum required spec, minimal settings... I oughtta just get a better rig. Smile

Given the amount of (potentially) good games coming out, it's definitely worth it!
QrafTee
Nutteloos wrote:
achowles wrote:

If you get a better rig, consider downloading and installing the High Resolution textures... breathtaking.
valadez
achowles wrote:
Well, after a bout of epic stupidity on the part of MS, I've actually downloaded it now. You can send in Fawkes! Those who have completed the game will know what I'm talking about. Dammit, they actually listened! Definitely a good DLC.

Only thing I disliked about that is how that narrator guy speaks about you, like what you did was really bad, I thoguth hang on a minute. If I went in there instead of Fawkes when Fawkes was with me I wouldn't be a hero, I'd be a fool.

Apart from that part I haven't done any BS content yet as I started the game again and played through the other two dlc as I hadn't played them yet, (I'm glad I didn't as I have so much to do this playthrough) and I've been getting so distracted by all the side stuff again I haven't even gotten to the *Brief Spoiler* Vault Simulation to save my Dad yet and I'm level 21 lol.

Seriously can't wait to get the Broken Steel part though.

Also I'm trying to get a cable to connect my hard drive to my pc so I can mod the game after I've gotten all the achievements. Liberty Prime laser, bomb and Myserious Stranger .44 Magnum will all be a part of my terrifying arsenal.
achowles
QrafTee wrote:
If you get a better rig, consider downloading and installing the High Resolution textures... breathtaking.

I'd need a better rig for those too. And I'm running it maxed out. But yes, that is something I'd like to do once I upgrade.

valadez wrote:
Only thing I disliked about that is how that narrator guy speaks about you, like what you did was really bad, I thoguth hang on a minute. If I went in there instead of Fawkes when Fawkes was with me I wouldn't be a hero, I'd be a fool.

Apart from that part I haven't done any BS content yet as I started the game again and played through the other two dlc as I hadn't played them yet, (I'm glad I didn't as I have so much to do this playthrough) and I've been getting so distracted by all the side stuff again I haven't even gotten to the *Brief Spoiler* Vault Simulation to save my Dad yet and I'm level 21 lol.

Seriously can't wait to get the Broken Steel part though.

Also I'm trying to get a cable to connect my hard drive to my pc so I can mod the game after I've gotten all the achievements. Liberty Prime laser, bomb and Myserious Stranger .44 Magnum will all be a part of my terrifying arsenal.

You can get the Mysterious Stranger's .44 Magnum by entering the code "player.additem 50f92 1"

Yes, the ending was unduly negative and probably because you've successfully circumnavigated Bethesda's little 'moral dilemma' they wanted to pose you with. That aside, Broken Steel is well worth your time. I can't say I'm so fond of some of the bullet sponges they've added into the game, like the Super Mutant Overlord, Albino Radscorpion and Feral Ghoul Reaver. I'd have preferred enemies that cause more damage than simply suck up more damage. Or better still, increase the number of enemies. It's daft how there are so many Masters later on and virtually no regular super mutants.

Also, there is another DLC in the works called Point Lookout which is more than likely set in the real WW2 POW camp that is near Bethesda's headquarters. In all honesty though, I'd rather they slowed up on the DLC and cranked out some more patches. Especially given that the latest patch only served to introduce more bugs.
achowles
OK, a heads up:

Firstly, the three existing DLC for Xbox 360 and PC platforms will be made available to PS3 owners over the next few months as Bethesda's deal with Microsoft has come to an end. Good news for the PS3 owners out there!

Secondly, there will be two new DLCs available for all three platforms. First one is called Point Lookout and is set in a swampland area (supposedly based in the WW2 POW camp area of the same name). The second one is Mothership Zeta, in which you're actually abducted by aliens. Supposedly the same species that appeared in Fallout 3. Or maybe Fallout (they had similar craft and weapons, but dramatically larger heads).

Finally, there will be some more hard copy releases: the predictable GOTY Edition featuring all five DLC. Also there will be two expansion packs combining the DLC, but they seem more expensive than buying the DLC through Live. So probably aren't worth looking into.
m-productions
I plan on picking this up for the pc now that the level editor has come out, That was what was holding me back was that there was no way to make your own content like in ES games. so as soon as i get some more free time ill jump on it and buy this.
achowles
m-productions wrote:
I plan on picking this up for the pc now that the level editor has come out, That was what was holding me back was that there was no way to make your own content like in ES games. so as soon as i get some more free time ill jump on it and buy this.

Yeah, you'd definitely need some free time for the game. You might be best off waiting for the GoTY edition, seeing as it is supposed to be including all 5 DLC released so far and will hopefully need a lot less in the way of patching.
QrafTee
achowles wrote:
m-productions wrote:

Yeah, you'd definitely need some free time for the game. You might be best off waiting for the GoTY edition, seeing as it is supposed to be including all 5 DLC released so far and will hopefully need a lot less in the way of patching.

Yeah, GOTY in October... It kinda pisses me off that I bought the Collector's Lunch Box and they want me to pay for all 5 DLCs when those who waited are getting all 5 for free and cheaper than I bought my game.
Ankhanu
QrafTee wrote:

Yeah, GOTY in October... It kinda pisses me off that I bought the Collector's Lunch Box and they want me to pay for all 5 DLCs when those who waited are getting all 5 for free and cheaper than I bought my game.

On the other hand... you'll have had a year's worth of playing the game under your belt that those who waited for this release haven't had. Guess there's a price to pay for playing a game within a year of its release, eh?
QrafTee
Ankhanu wrote:
QrafTee wrote:

On the other hand... you'll have had a year's worth of playing the game under your belt that those who waited for this release haven't had. Guess there's a price to pay for playing a game within a year of its release, eh?

Yeah, Bethesda is sending the message to me to not buy their games until they release a GOTY edition which makes its way onto eBay--because Gamestop's used games will rob you blind anyway.
Ankhanu
Of course, for there to ever be a GOTY released, people like us have to buy it when it comes out. Otherwise, it's simply considered a commercial failure. Oh the hideous irony!

On another note, I just started playing after my self-imposed period of not playing to finish my thesis... goddamn this game is immersive, I'm completely hooked. While I still find it lacking in straight up RPG fun (as found in the previous two), that hasn't stopped me from loving it. It's more akin to a post-apocalyptic Gothic than it is to the prior two games, but, that's fine. I'm not so keen on the fact that enemies scale in power with your own level, however. I mean, you shouldn't be able to go into the middle of down town early in the game and encounter weak enemies, only to say, come back just outside of Megaton in later levels to find super strong enemies in basic quests. I like the idea of certain areas simply being more difficult than others on virtue of where/what they are, not based on your character level.
tw34kfr34k
definately the best game in a long time.
just to bad the extensions and editor didn't work at all for me on computer..
Cant wait for Nr 4,gonna try the first and 2nd soon
achowles
QrafTee wrote:

Everything depreciates in value. Well, not everything. But when it comes to entertainment products, most do. You can either pick up bargains from yesteryear (which I do frequently) or shell out for games as soon as they hit the shelves. And buying the Collector's Edition removes your right to complain as you knowingly spent more than most anyway.
achowles
Ankhanu wrote:
Of course, for there to ever be a GOTY released, people like us have to buy it when it comes out. Otherwise, it's simply considered a commercial failure. Oh the hideous irony!

On another note, I just started playing after my self-imposed period of not playing to finish my thesis... goddamn this game is immersive, I'm completely hooked. While I still find it lacking in straight up RPG fun (as found in the previous two), that hasn't stopped me from loving it. It's more akin to a post-apocalyptic Gothic than it is to the prior two games, but, that's fine. I'm not so keen on the fact that enemies scale in power with your own level, however. I mean, you shouldn't be able to go into the middle of down town early in the game and encounter weak enemies, only to say, come back just outside of Megaton in later levels to find super strong enemies in basic quests. I like the idea of certain areas simply being more difficult than others on virtue of where/what they are, not based on your character level.

The scaling isn't as bad as it was in Oblivion. That was one of the main things I disliked about that game. At least it keeps the game challenging rather than letting you become a god like many RPGs do. But what I'd have preferred to see is an increase in the more basic enemies as well as the inclusion of the more advanced ones. So you may be faced with 5 super mutants or one Master.

As for the differences with the first two: Obsidian - the people behind those games - have been given the right to produce another Fallout game which is due out next year. I don't know what to expect from it. I just hope that it fully utilises the strengths of both Fallout 3 and their own earlier efforts.
achowles
tw34kfr34k wrote:
definately the best game in a long time.
just to bad the extensions and editor didn't work at all for me on computer..
Cant wait for Nr 4,gonna try the first and 2nd soon

The DLC? Are you sure they're enabled properly? Try moving the files out of the download directory and into your Data folder in your Fallout 3 install directory. Then go to the Launcher and select Data Files. Make sure the boxes by your DLC are checked. If you don't know where the files are, then simply try making sure that they're checked in Data Files.
mwsupra
Game didn't really grab my attention, but most games I'll only play for a week or so anyway. Waiting for that awesome game I can't walk away from.
QrafTee
achowles wrote:
QrafTee wrote:

Everything depreciates in value. Well, not everything. But when it comes to entertainment products, most do. You can either pick up bargains from yesteryear (which I do frequently) or shell out for games as soon as they hit the shelves. And buying the Collector's Edition removes your right to complain as you knowingly spent more than most anyway.

Wrong, paying a premium gives me more of a right to complain since I purchased a premium edition of the game and should be entitled the the DLC. Instead, in October, they are re-releasing the game with all the DLC for the base price of it. Now that does not seem fair at the least in my eyes.
achowles
QrafTee wrote:

Wrong, paying a premium gives me more of a right to complain since I purchased a premium edition of the game and should be entitled the the DLC. Instead, in October, they are re-releasing the game with all the DLC for the base price of it. Now that does not seem fair at the least in my eyes.

You paid for whatever extras were supplied with the version you bought. If you thought they were just going to give you whatever expansions and DLC they released then your sense of entitlement far exceeds the reality of the matter.

If you want the best deal on games then buy them a year or so later when they wind up on a budget label or in a Gold or GoTY edition. And certainly don't go buying the special editions if you don't consider the extras to be of adequate value.
Ankhanu
Purchase of Special Edition items, software or otherwise, rarely entitles the buyer to free stuff after the time of purchase... ESPECIALLY when the extra stuff didn't exist at the time of the release of the Special Edition.

Essentially, what you're saying is that if you were one of the people who, back in 1997 bought the Star Wars Special Edition Trilogy box set, that you should be entitled to copies of all the prequel material that was released as an extension of that box set a year and a half before Ep.1 was released. It's kind of backwards thinking and really doesn't jive with a capitalist social/economic structure.

Essentially, that's a more polite way of saying "pull your head out of your butt"... 'cause my intent really is not to offend and simply using that phrase was sure to do so Wink

You bought your Fallout Special edition and got some nice perks at that time. That's the end of the story; you got to play the game all through this year, got an awesome lunch box, a bobble head to sit on your desk, great artwork, a DVD... you've nothing to complain about, you got what your money paid for, nothing more, nothing less.
Ghengis
Did somebody seriously suggest that buying the CE / LE actually entitles them to the DLC as well? "I bought a t-shirt for your game; gimme some free stuff!"

Seriously?
achowles
Ghengis wrote:
Did somebody seriously suggest that buying the CE / LE actually entitles them to the DLC as well? "I bought a t-shirt for your game; gimme some free stuff!"

Seriously?

QrafTee doesn't seem to have the strongest grasp of capitalism, it seems. =p
QrafTee
achowles wrote:
Ghengis wrote:

Seriously?

QrafTee doesn't seem to have the strongest grasp of capitalism, it seems. =p

Oh I do, but it's disgusting how developers have been leeching off their customers. It is a slap in the face to their customers; it really is.

Now Valve knows how to please their customers--look at the FREE continuous support for Team Fortress 2--however, I have the feeling that as Steam is taking over they'll too become corrupt--the swift announcement of Left 4 Dead 2 when Left 4 Dead has not even turned one years old hints at that.

I knew that the DLC train would bring corruption to the gaming industry... but now it is as DLCs give companies a license to insert their probes up their consumers' rear end to continuously empty their wallets.

Who knows though, it seems a majority of the forum dwellers here like being abused... so maybe these companies actually have something here.
achowles
QrafTee wrote:

Oh I do, but it's disgusting how developers have been leeching off their customers. It is a slap in the face to their customers; it really is.

Now Valve knows how to please their customers--look at the FREE continuous support for Team Fortress 2--however, I have the feeling that as Steam is taking over they'll too become corrupt--the swift announcement of Left 4 Dead 2 when Left 4 Dead has not even turned one years old hints at that.

I knew that the DLC train would bring corruption to the gaming industry... but now it is as DLCs give companies a license to insert their probes up their consumers' rear end to continuously empty their wallets.

Who knows though, it seems a majority of the forum dwellers here like being abused... so maybe these companies actually have something here.

Funny thing is, I don't remember anyone complaining about companies releasing expansions or even gold/goty editions of games. But now companies are producing DLC that are effectively smaller expansions suddenly people start whining.

Sure, given the nature of Fallout 3, it would be nice to have larger areas to explore with more to do in the DLC. But the DLC still provide about the same amount of playing time as a FPS expansion with about the same level of new content.

As for Valve, they didn't manage any such support for Left 4 Dead. With Left 4 Dead 2 on the way, that's not about to change either. They did well with TF2, but they're really starting to change for the worse right now.
QrafTee
achowles wrote:
QrafTee wrote:

Funny thing is, I don't remember anyone complaining about companies releasing expansions or even gold/goty editions of games. But now companies are producing DLC that are effectively smaller expansions suddenly people start whining.

Sure, given the nature of Fallout 3, it would be nice to have larger areas to explore with more to do in the DLC. But the DLC still provide about the same amount of playing time as a FPS expansion with about the same level of new content.

As for Valve, they didn't manage any such support for Left 4 Dead. With Left 4 Dead 2 on the way, that's not about to change either. They did well with TF2, but they're really starting to change for the worse right now.

I see the same problem with Left 4 Dead 2 as well. I'm hoping Valve saw some limitations in the foundation of the first game which could not be fixed with a simple patch so they had to release a new game. We saw that Valve tried to add more modes and maps to Left 4 Dead, but then the trickling free updates stopped altogether. We'll just have to see what's up with Left 4 Dead 2, personally from what I saw shown at E3 it's a little too bright and colorful to be a zombie survival game.
Ghengis
I don't get all the whining about DLC. Sure, there's bad DLC, that's either under-produced or over-priced. But there's also good DLC -- recently, I bought two new levels for The Maw at 100 MSP ($1.25) each. If I got an expansion pack for a retail game that had 10 new levels, and I paid 20 bucks for that, you'd say it was a good expansion. But these are a) even cheaper than that, and b) available as soon as they're done with development. What's the problem?

For every Horse Armor, there's two or three updates that are worth the money (IMHO).
QrafTee
Ghengis wrote:
I don't get all the whining about DLC. Sure, there's bad DLC, that's either under-produced or over-priced. But there's also good DLC -- recently, I bought two new levels for The Maw at 100 MSP ($1.25) each. If I got an expansion pack for a retail game that had 10 new levels, and I paid 20 bucks for that, you'd say it was a good expansion. But these are a) even cheaper than that, and b) available as soon as they're done with development. What's the problem?

For every Horse Armor, there's two or three updates that are worth the money (IMHO).

But when you take the time to tally up all the DLC... and it ends up costing more than the game itself then something has gone terribly wrong. What's worse is that most people blindly throw their money away into it. Maybe I'm just spoiled being a PC gamer and the mod community delivers for free and I'm used to it--yes, it's us creative gamers with the tools the developers gave us who made the first DLCs.
Ghengis
Well, depends on the game -- I can't think of any that have more DLC available than the cost of the original game, though I'm sure someone will point something out. In some cases, it's just that the game "lived" a long time and lots of DLC has built up. In others, the game follows the "Korean MMO" model, where the base game is free or cheap, but people are encouraged to buy little upgrades / addons, often that add little or no advantage in the gameplay -- I'm thinking specifically of My Life As A King, where you can actually pay as much as or more than the cost of the original game for DLC, but it doesn't significantly alter core gameplay. I actually like that -- people willing to spend 30 bucks on a "complete" game can do so, and I can enjoy the "core" game for half that price.
QrafTee
Ghengis wrote:
Well, depends on the game -- I can't think of any that have more DLC available than the cost of the original game, though I'm sure someone will point something out. In some cases, it's just that the game "lived" a long time and lots of DLC has built up. In others, the game follows the "Korean MMO" model, where the base game is free or cheap, but people are encouraged to buy little upgrades / addons, often that add little or no advantage in the gameplay -- I'm thinking specifically of My Life As A King, where you can actually pay as much as or more than the cost of the original game for DLC, but it doesn't significantly alter core gameplay. I actually like that -- people willing to spend 30 bucks on a "complete" game can do so, and I can enjoy the "core" game for half that price.

Reminds me of the Core Xbox 360, totally useless and should not have been released in the first place. Why bother releasing a gimped console without a hard drive that cannot play most games online or download updates to those games. The same deal went with My Life as a King, I personally thought it was very shady of Square Enix not allowing you to build the homes for the other races because I believe part of the whole Crystal Chronicles franchise was built upon the four races teaming up together.
Nutteloos
I think they should leave all the downloadable content to the fanbase - let them do the work, and release all the developer-made content in one big expansion pack. And then be done with it, and move on to a new game. We don't want another The Sims here, with umphteen 'extra content' releases masked as 'expansion packs'. Don't even get me started on that.
achowles
Nutteloos wrote:
I think they should leave all the downloadable content to the fanbase - let them do the work, and release all the developer-made content in one big expansion pack. And then be done with it, and move on to a new game. We don't want another The Sims here, with umphteen 'extra content' releases masked as 'expansion packs'. Don't even get me started on that.

The DLC is between a quarter and a third the price of EA's Sims expansions and they add considerably more content to boot. I agree that we want to keep far away from anything that frivolous. And the community have released mods that are of similar value to what EA would have you pay through the nose for.

There are only five DLC planned, and I'm pretty sure the first three were under contract with Microsoft. The forth one does offer an apparently quite large new area to explore that's supposed to be quite difficult to boot.

I don't know anything about the alien mothership one and what that offers. But right now it sounds a bit like Operation Anchorage. In other words a mostly action based DLC you can only play through the once that will most likely have some excellent items to pick up along the way. I could be very wrong about that though. Anchorage was knocked for it's lack of RPG qualities so I don't think they'll be doing that twice.
Ghengis
I really like the idea that, if it's going to take ~5 years to make a AAA sequel to a AAA title, they can devote a much smaller side team to making, say, 2 or 3 DLC releases a year to "breathe new life" into an old favorite. That way, I don't have to wait so long to revisit the "world" of that game.

Of course, I *say* that, but I haven't actually seen it done successfully, outside of Fallout 3 and Oblivion -- and I didn't even like Oblivion enough to buy the DLC.

ETA: Oh, and as for the Core 360, yeah, that was dumb dumb dumb. The PS3 handled "tiered" consoles much better -- everybody gets the same core functionality (console, hard drive, network connection, USB ports), but the "premium" version gets a *bigger* hard drive, *better* network connection (wireless), *more* USB ports, etc. That's totally the way MS should have gone with the 360. I know why they did it the way they did, though -- some douchebag in marketing told them that they had to have *something* to sell at the $300 price point, and the only way they could get that low without totally losing their shirts was to ditch the hard drive altogether. That was stupid, and lead to things like the "must work without any hard drive" policy that they're only now getting over.
achowles
Yeah, DLC is good if it's handled right. But I don't think that they've quite struck the right balance yet. I think that most people would be willing to pay more if what was offered was more substantial. The DLC cost me about Ł6 each and they delivered enough extra content to justify being a sixth of the original game's cost. But Fallout is big. BIIIIG! Real damn big. The DLC just don't measure up and seem insubstantial comparatively.
spinout
yeeah - I finally got the game - to the PS3. I just got out of the Vault and trying to live in the vastelands... graphics was not as smooth but playable...
QrafTee
spinout wrote:
yeeah - I finally got the game - to the PS3. I just got out of the Vault and trying to live in the vastelands... graphics was not as smooth but playable...

You should've waited for the GOTY edition with all the DLC already included.
achowles
QrafTee wrote:
spinout wrote:

You should've waited for the GOTY edition with all the DLC already included.

Yeah, there's no real point in buying it at the moment for that reason.

Point Outlook is due out tomorrow. I think I'll avoid rushing out to get it in case there are any problems with it. But it does look good.
lethaltriad
have fun spinout! i can remember the first time i escaped the vault, enjoy the adventure!
Ghengis
Does anyone know if they're going to be releasing DLC bundles at all? I haven't bought any of it yet (no time to play!) but eventually I'll probably want it all...
Ankhanu
The Pitt and Anchorage are already released as a bundle for 360.
pgrmdave
I've only played the basic version with none of the DLC - are they worth picking up?
Ankhanu
pgrmdave wrote:
I've only played the basic version with none of the DLC - are they worth picking up?

There are lots of reviews on each DLC package out there. From what I've read, Broken Steel is the only really good one. The other two are ok, but don't add so much to the game.
achowles
pgrmdave wrote:

Point Outlook is meant to be very good. It's essentially an added area of exploration for high level characters. On that note, you may also need Broken Steel as it increases the level cap and makes Point Outlook a bit easier. I haven't tried it yet as my graphics card drivers are playing up.

Broken Steel is a must have, really. A new ending to the game that - without spoilers - fixes certain problems with the original then extends it, providing an opportunity for evil players to be really evil or make a truly positive difference. It provides a ton of Enclave to blow away, some nice weapons and armour and some bullet sponge variants of existing mutant types.

The Pitt is a nice addition with a well thought out scenario. Again, some very nice weapons and some more interesting armour. But despite the opportunity to return there's no real reason to. It's also very buggy.

Anchorage - it has by far the best weapons and armour of any DLC, but those are by far the most significant reason to get it. Otherwise it's a one shot combat centric simulation. Not terrible, but you certainly shouldn't get this one over the above.
sourojit
oh man cant be a greater story than this.The graphics is awsome.Specially when u go out of the vault .
The game makes a feel of real experience.Though the concept of "earning experience"may seem creepy to some people,its also true in real life."U become perfect through practice,practice increases experience".So more experience means more accuracy... Very Happy
achowles
sourojit wrote:
oh man cant be a greater story than this.The graphics is awsome.Specially when u go out of the vault .
The game makes a feel of real experience.Though the concept of "earning experience"may seem creepy to some people,its also true in real life."U become perfect through practice,practice increases experience".So more experience means more accuracy... Very Happy

Yeah, that's the problem. While the first two Fallout games are considered to be possibly the only true RPGs on any computer & console gaming platform, most people who have played Fallout 3 are completely oblivious to them. Especially console gamers. So Fallout 3 was probably a lot different to what most people expected.

While I agree that it's somewhat realistic, I don't see how you can gain experience in bartering through blowing some mutant's head off. Or how you gain large amounts of experience in level increments. That's what I like about the GCD system: no levelling. You gain experience in the areas you're actually using. So picking a lock will gain you lock picking experience, using an assault rifle will gain you small arms experience and so on.
QrafTee
Ankhanu wrote:
pgrmdave wrote:

There are lots of reviews on each DLC package out there. From what I've read, Broken Steel is the only really good one. The other two are ok, but don't add so much to the game.

I've played Operation Anchorage and Broken Steel before and I can say Broken Steel is better than Operation Anchorage.
achowles
Well, Mothership Zeta is out now.
So I'll ask the inevitable questions: Anyone going to get it? Got it? Love it? Hate it?

I'll probably get it as I've got 1000 points and nothing else to use them on. Such is the barren wasteland that is GFWL.

I like the look of the craft, which is in every sense a world away from what's been done with the game engine up until now. The selection of new equipment is impressive too. What I'm not so clear on is whether or not it will offer much actual RPG content or whether it's going to be an Anchorage style linear shooter. I'd love to see it provide the kinds of choices that Broken Steel did.
Ghengis
@achowles: don't you have a 360? You could use the points there instead -- tons of goodies on XBLA. I bought Broken Steel for the extra perks, etc., but I don't see buying any more content for the game. I'll never get through what shipped on the disc as it is!

Also, what's the "GCD" system?
achowles
Ghengis wrote:
@achowles: don't you have a 360? You could use the points there instead -- tons of goodies on XBLA. I bought Broken Steel for the extra perks, etc., but I don't see buying any more content for the game. I'll never get through what shipped on the disc as it is!

Also, what's the "GCD" system?

Galsiah's Character Development - a system that grants you experience in accordance with what you actually do. It removes levelling up entirely and replaces it with a system that grants experience in each area whenever you put those skills/attributes to use. It's about as close to a natural and realistic system as I've seen in a game.

And no, I don't have a 360. The game has a ton of content with it. But I've actually seen most of what it has to offer. It's easily my most played game of the past year, by a mile. That said, I keep on finding new things.
spinout
I left the city, megaton, but encountered raiders a bit out and I have poor fighting skills, so I went dead fast... Is there randow encounter just or is there places where they always hang out???
QrafTee
spinout wrote:
I left the city, megaton, but encountered raiders a bit out and I have poor fighting skills, so I went dead fast... Is there randow encounter just or is there places where they always hang out???

There are random encounters, but there are definitely places where they hang out as well. Sometimes it's the luck of the draw, but you might want to avoided places like the Yao Gwai Cave and the Deathclaw area when you first start out.
Ankhanu
Also, learn to sneak Smile
QrafTee
Ankhanu wrote:
Also, learn to sneak Smile

I'm more of a shoot first, sneak later kinda guy... but that works too. That's probably why I set off traps and mines so often.
spinout
it was in the wilderness so it was random ... I played it today again and well killing raiders seem just to be my hobbie Smile)
QrafTee
spinout wrote:
it was in the wilderness so it was random ... I played it today again and well killing raiders seem just to be my hobbie Smile)

If you want to be a bad guy, you can always put Slave Collars on them and make extra caps while you're at it--not killing the guy you capture obviously.
Ghengis
It's funny seeing this conversation -- one of my favorite features of the Fallout series was always that you can play it "your way" most of the time. This just shows that FO3 managed to keep the spirit of that alive. I kind of want to play back through as a sneak-heavy evil character, but I don't have nearly that much free time on my hands...
spinout
hm slave collars, I need to buy that!!! Pronto...

BUT for the raiders; why do they look so innocent good looking???? Shouldnt they look like Lemmy in Motorhead or something??? hehe!!! It look's like i'm killing models...

There is an ex raider in atombomb-city but I have to good carma to get him with me - is he worth the risk to get bad carma??? In the previous games carma is a good way to succed in the game - hm, in fallout 1 I killed everyone a saw - just like that... I didn't get side jobs at all of course since I killed everyone IE the game was not half as big with that strategy!

I tried to start killing everyone once in atombomb-city but a was so low in level so I died all the time - Now I really can kill em all!!!! But a trading post is good to have!!!
tingkagol
Err... how exactly do you put slave collars on people?

Yeah, for some reason I was bored enough to dig up my copy and played it again. Went with a stealthy melee/explosives build. So far, this is the most fun build I've played.
QrafTee
spinout wrote:
hm slave collars, I need to buy that!!! Pronto...

BUT for the raiders; why do they look so innocent good looking???? Shouldnt they look like Lemmy in Motorhead or something??? hehe!!! It look's like i'm killing models...

There is an ex raider in atombomb-city but I have to good carma to get him with me - is he worth the risk to get bad carma??? In the previous games carma is a good way to succed in the game - hm, in fallout 1 I killed everyone a saw - just like that... I didn't get side jobs at all of course since I killed everyone IE the game was not half as big with that strategy!

I tried to start killing everyone once in atombomb-city but a was so low in level so I died all the time - Now I really can kill em all!!!! But a trading post is good to have!!!

No, Jericho isn't worth getting bad karma for unless you're already heading that way from the get go. Fawke is definitely the cream of the crop in terms of followers which you need good karma for.

You can just kill everyone in Megaton, then set the detonator to make the place go off. You'll still be able to check out the other places like Tenpenny Tower, Rivet City, Little Lamplight, Big Town, the Underworld, and so on.
achowles
spinout wrote:

Interior locations such as the Springvale School near Megaton have a fixed set of raiders (and ants). Once they're dead, that's it. The place is cleaned out. But the Wasteland itself is mostly random encounters, except for towns, raider camps and the like. So you'll encounter creatures at those points many times over.

As mentioned, sneaking is a good way to avoid trouble you can't afford to get yourself into. It can also earn you a guaranteed critical hit if you hit them while hidden. Get really good at sneaking and you can drop live grenades down people's trousers scoring a guaranteed kill. Even against a Super Mutant Master.

Always make sure you keep your armour and weapons in reasonable condition. Make sure you use the best stuff you have for any given situation and don't be afraid to use chems to gain an edge.
achowles
tingkagol wrote:
Err... how exactly do you put slave collars on people?

Yeah, for some reason I was bored enough to dig up my copy and played it again. Went with a stealthy melee/explosives build. So far, this is the most fun build I've played.

Haha! Yeah, no doubt. Exploding pants guarantees that's a winning combination.

For slave collars you can go to Paradise Falls and speak to the guy guarding the entrance. Convince him that you're mean enough and he'll task you with the job of catching a few VIP slaves. You'll then get a mesmatron (which you could alternatively loot off his corpse) and a slave collar (which you can't loot). The mesmatron makes the target easy to persuade. Just make sure you use it out of sight of others as it counts as an attack on that person.
spinout
OK, I have cleaned up the school - that was fun and preatty simple - any more places like that???
achowles
spinout wrote:
OK, I have cleaned up the school - that was fun and preatty simple - any more places like that???

Try doing quests for Moira Brown in Megaton. She'll send you out to do research for her book. It's kind of an introductory set of missions. The Supa Dupa Mart is a good place to start.
spinout
I found the supoa dupa mart and cleaned it up...

I found also settlers beeing attacked by raiders - is it any idea to intefer? any benefits?
achowles
spinout wrote:
I found the supoa dupa mart and cleaned it up...

I found also settlers beeing attacked by raiders - is it any idea to intefer? any benefits?

Raiders are always hostile to you anyway. You don't stand to lose anything by killing them. You might gain some knowledge or other reward from the people you save though. Otherwise you just get what you can loot of the raider corpses. You can also gain good karma from rescuing people.

Just keep in mind that good karma can see you being ambushed by Talon company on numerous occasions. Bad karma will attract the attentions of the Regulators. Both are bad news to low level characters. But killing them can afford you some decent weapons and armour.

Staying neutral can also see you benefit from the neutral mediation perk which is a massive boost to your speech. But good karma has all the best companions, including Fawkes who has a gattling laser as standard. But you'll be pretty high level anyway by the time you encounter Fawkes.
spinout
The city in the right bottom - is that to stay away from in lower levels?

I got a mission to lead a woman there... Unlucky there is hordes of super mutants in the way...
QrafTee
spinout wrote:
The city in the right bottom - is that to stay away from in lower levels?

I got a mission to lead a woman there... Unlucky there is hordes of super mutants in the way...
Believe it or not, you have to head there not too long after. I beat the game already so my second time around, that was the first city I went to--because I put 9 Int in the beginning of the game and I had to run over there without leveling up to pick up the Bobblehead for 10 Int to earn the max skill points per level without "wasting" a SPECIAL point.
Helios
So I finished the game about two weeks after it came out, and seeing these new expansion packs I kind of want to get back to it since I loved the original game a lot.
I don't know, I'm not so sure I guess. Are those expansion packs any good and interesting?
Ankhanu
Helios wrote:
Are those expansion packs any good and interesting?

Some of them are better value than others. Broken Steel at the least is highly recommended, if for no other reason than the increased level cap.
spinout
rivet city - that was the name---

Interesting place???

What is the best strategy to gain maoney??
achowles
spinout wrote:
rivet city - that was the name---

Interesting place???

What is the best strategy to gain maoney??

The biggest amount of money you can gain is through trade. So you need to be picking up a lot of items on your travels and selling them off to traders in the towns. So looting every corpse, checking every storage container (that's not labelled [EMPTY]). You can also steal a fair amount without affecting your karma too badly. There is a safe in The Brass Lantern, Megaton that's a perfect starting point.

When picking up items that you're not interested in personally but want to sell, what you've got to be looking for is the weight to caps ratio. Something that weighs as much or more than it's worth is useless. Weightless items are your best bet as you can carry an almost infinite amount of these. Especially things like pre war money can net a good few caps without slowing you down. If you're not specialising in heavy weapons then missiles are also like gold at 50 caps a piece and they don't weigh a thing.

You can also use your repair skills to increase the value of your items and decrease the weight you're carrying. You're going to accumulate more guns than you'll ever need in this game so building up an arsenal of good condition weapons on your travels will mean you're never short on caps.

Also don't forget to store what you can't sell at your place. Either the one in Megaton or Tenpenny, depending on the path you take.
Helios
Well, I'm back in the game Smile
Finishing the original quest soon and then I'll install Broken Steel and all the others packs.

Actually playing it for the second time is more fun than I thought it'd be. I'm ever redoing side quests Very Happy
achowles
Helios wrote:
Well, I'm back in the game Smile
Finishing the original quest soon and then I'll install Broken Steel and all the others packs.

Actually playing it for the second time is more fun than I thought it'd be. I'm ever redoing side quests Very Happy

I'd install Broken Steel first, if I were you. The Broken Steel content follows directly on from the conclusion of the main quest. So you'll need that installed first. Otherwise you'll need to complete the main quest again to gain access to that content.
spinout
Hhat are the best locations to locate at start???

I kinda try to look in the wastelands only to be hunted down by strange creatures...
Helios
Yeah, go to megaton, do side quests there.
You'll pretty much know what to do to survive later. Find Megaton. It's not far from vault 101.

---

Successfully finished Broken Steel Smile
Now what? Razz
achowles
spinout wrote:
Hhat are the best locations to locate at start???

I kinda try to look in the wastelands only to be hunted down by strange creatures...

As stated, the area around Megaton isn't so hard. As long as you don't go wandering into Old Olney you should be okay, as most random encounters are scaled to your present level. If the game gets too hard, remember that you can change the difficulty at any time during the game.

I'd also recommend you keep a reasonable number of saves and use them in sequence. That way you can backtrack if need be.

Be aware that there is a Strength bobblehead in Lucas Simms' place in Megaton. It's usually locked before you disarm the bomb and unlocked afterwards. If you grab that then it will permanently increase your strength by 1 point. Even if you don't use melee weapons, it will still increase the amount you can carry.

Be on the lookout for other bobbleheads as there is one for each skill and attribute.
spinout
thanks for the tips!!

Hm, Megaton I have disarmed. I have some quests on the bridge-hangout. But is heading south...

Hm, the encounters is hard in the wilderness to the west!!! get slaugthered every time.
achowles
spinout wrote:
thanks for the tips!!

Hm, Megaton I have disarmed. I have some quests on the bridge-hangout. But is heading south...

Hm, the encounters is hard in the wilderness to the west!!! get slaugthered every time.

The game offers many advantages while sneaking. It's a skill worth investing in and will help keep you alive. You get one hell of a critical hit if you hit the enemy while hidden. You can also explode pants by dropping a grenade down the trousers of humanoid enemies (so long as they're wearing any).

Add to that the Robotics Expert perk that allows you to disable any robot you encounter (that's not actively attacking you), the Run Silent perk that allows you to run while sneaking without penalty and Better Criticals and you can make become very powerful through sneaking.

Also remember chems can boost your abilities. Even ranged weapons will benefit from use of chems (regardless of how little sense that makes).