FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

We are ALL personally responsible

icecool
i found this on a blog of a friend of a friend.

then did a search and it was quoted quite widely on a number of sites:

Quote:

Commentary by Charlie Reese

545 People

Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them.

Have you ever wondered why, if both the Democrats and the Republicans are against deficits, we have deficits?

Have you ever wondered why, if all the politicians are against inflation and high taxes, we have inflation and high taxes?

You and I don't propose a federal budget. The president does.

You and I don't have the Constitutional authority to vote on appropriations. The House of Representatives does.

You and I don't write the tax code, Congress does.

You and I don't set fiscal policy, Congress does.

You and I don't control monetary policy, The Federal Reserve Bank does.

One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one president and nine Supreme Court justices - 545 human beings out of 300+ million - are directly, legally, morally and individually responsible for the domestic problems that plague this country.

I excluded the members of the Federal Reserve Board because that problem was created by the Congress.

In 1913, Congress delegated its Constitutional duty to provide a sound currency to a federally chartered but private central bank.

I excluded all the special interests and lobbyists for a sound reason. They have no legal authority.

They have no ability to coerce a senator, a congressman or a president to do one cotton-picking thing.

I don't care if they offer a politician $1 million dollars in cash. The politician has the power to accept or reject it. No matter what the lobbyist promises, it is the legislator's responsibility to determine how he votes.

Those 545 human beings spend much of their energy convincing you that what they did is not their fault. They cooperate in this common con regardless of party.

What separates a politician from a normal human being is an excessive amount of gall.

No normal human being would have the gall of a Speaker, who stood up and criticized the President for creating deficits.

The president can only propose a budget.

He cannot force the Congress to accept it.

The Constitution, which is the supreme law of the land, gives sole responsibility to the House of Representatives for originating and approving appropriations and taxes.

Who is the speaker of the House? She is the leader of the majority party. She and fellow House members, not the president, can approve any budget they want. If the president vetoes it, they can pass it over his veto if they agree to.

It seems inconceivable to me that a nation of 300+ million cannot replace 545 people who stand convicted -- by present facts - of incompetence and irresponsibility.

I can't think of a single domestic problem that is not traceable directly to those 545 people.

When you fully grasp the plain truth that 545 people exercise the power of the federal government, then it must follow that what exists is what they want to exist.

If the tax code is unfair, it's because they want it unfair.

If the budget is in the red, it's because they want it in the red.

If the Marines are in IRAQ, it's because they want them in IRAQ.

If they do not receive social security but are on an elite retirement plan not available to the people, it's because they want it that way.

There are no insoluble government problems.

Do not let these 545 people shift the blame to bureaucrats, whom they hire and whose jobs they can abolish; to lobbyists, whose gifts and advice they can reject; to regulators, to whom they give the power to regulate and from whom they can take this power.

Above all, do not let them con you into the belief that there exists disembodied mystical forces like 'the economy,' 'inflation' or 'politics' that prevent them from doing what they take an oath to do.

Those 545 people and they alone, are responsible.

They and they alone, have the power.

They, and they alone, should be held accountable by the people who are their bosses - provided the voters have the gumption to manage their own employees.

yes i have to agree with just about everything there

it is a PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY we all have to take for our actions.
not hide behind institutions
not plame others
not blame circumstances

we have a personal CHOICE at every cross roads in life
it is up to US which way we go
and be RESPONSIBLE for our choice

now this friend of a friend says in her blog
that she DID NOT vote in the presidential elections
Quote:

No matter who you voted for/against.
The American public spoke...
More voters exercised their right yesterday
than in Generations...
(Sad commentary)
I myself can be added to those who really have seen little reason
to vote...
IN a (Republican) state...
If your views are not inline you feel outcast.
And I am not affiliated with ANY party...
I vote the issues,
I vote with hope
I vote with my desire
for a better tomorrow.
For my children...
and grandchildren.

NO matter your views on who won,
Or who did not.
The voice of change was heard.
And it will echo for years to come.
A New Day Has Dawned...

It is time WE the PEOPLE
were heard...
listened to
and if not...
Prove WE are willing to
Be a part of the change...

A lot has been said...
And in 77 days...
The truth will pan out...

Until then...
To those who voted...
THANK YOU...
to those who did not...
Figuring your vote would not count...
No comments please...
Even failing to make a choice
is a choice within itself...

thisis really the sad sign of our times
that even people who are intelligent and outspoken
feel disenfranchised by the system
that no matter what they do
how THEY decide
someone further up is NOT sticking to their commitments

and the only choice a large part of the votng public saw for themselves was

TO STAY SILENT

FOR ME
THIS IS THE COWARDS CHOICE

THIS IS STANDING ON THE CROSSROADS
AND SITTING DOWN
resigned
sad

good luck to the world
WE ALL GONNA NEED IT
Libby
Okay, so if we just replaced the current 545 politicians with 545 different politicians, things would be better.

Riiiight. Rolling Eyes

We are personally responsible for the way things are right now -- in that most people are sitting on their asses complaining about things until election day rolls around and they can go vote and then pat themselves on the backs for doing their part. (I'm including myself here because I'm not rioting for change in the street either...)

I DIDN'T VOTE. Because there's no "None of the above" on the ballot.

So now you all can blame me for everything bad that happens mkay? Smile
liljp617
It's easy to point out an obvious problem. What's his genius solution?
deanhills
Libby wrote:

I personally think a "no vote" IS a vote. I have been in this situation myself, many times. A "none of the above" would also have suited me fine. In fact, it would probably be good for the purposes of analyzing the stats afterwards.
atul2242
deanhills wrote:
Libby wrote:

I personally think a "no vote" IS a vote. I have been in this situation myself, many times. A "none of the above" would also have suited me fine. In fact, it would probably be good for the purposes of analyzing the stats afterwards.

While a no vote is a vote what happens if someone who has some motivation wants to join politics because that's where social solutions can be started...
icecool
atul2242 wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Libby wrote:

While a no vote is a vote what happens if someone who has some motivation wants to join politics because that's where social solutions can be started...

to be able to vote is a privilege.
but privileges bring also responsibilities.

how many times in life do we have to mace choices. every day.
from the mundane - whats for breakfast today - just toast or coco pops.
to the serious - do i drive over the rabbit sitting in the middle of the road or swerve the car and endanger my property or even my own life?

most of these choices we make by instinct.
some of these choices are of no big consequence to our lives and happiness.
alot of the time we dont WANT either toast or coco pops but something thats not available.
thats then called making COMPROMISES - choosing the one we have the LEAST against in any given situations.

voting in ANY election is a privilege and a responsibility
if an individual considers itself a valid member of a society
and CLAIM the right to benefit, contribute and COMPLAIN when things dont work
and lets face it
WE ARE ALL QUICK TO COMPLAIN

then NOT voting
is NOT making a CHOICE
but in my eyes
it is foregoing your privileges and responsibilities as a citicen
placing yourself OUTSIDE the framework of society

foregoing the right to particpate
complain
benefit
for something VERY important

to be able to DETERMINE your life
be it in ever such a small way
but at least you COUNT
atul2242
Fully agree
gandalfthegrey
We are so screwed!
paul_indo
Politicians appear to spend more time and energy worrying about and working on their careers than on the problems they were elected to solve.

Making a lot of money is also a high priority for many of them.

Maybe it's just human nature but if that is the case then there isn't much hope for improvement.