FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ebay ID's

jwellsy
What's up with all the new Ebay ID's with two letters and three asterics like x***z ? Just about every bid I see placed is by an account that has that kind of ID. Is it some kind of automation, or cloaking?
ocalhoun
^It is a way to hide user's identities, while still differentiating between different users.
I use equinedreamadmin as an ebay ID (because ocalhoun was already taken Evil or Very Mad )
When I'm on a list like that, I show up as e**n.
jwellsy
Thanks, figured it had to be something like. It just looked odd to me. I hadn't used ebay much at all this past year or so.
eday2010
It's not so much to protect the bidder, but more of w way to stop people from not bidding against each other on an item. Now it's a free-for-all again!
ocalhoun
eday2010 wrote:
It's not so much to protect the bidder, but more of w way to stop people from not bidding against each other on an item. Now it's a free-for-all again!

It keeps placing a higher bid as the only option for winning a competitive auction. Otherwise, one bidder could use all kinds of devious strategies to discourage another bidder from increasing bids.

(As an example, I could be bidding against person X in a car auction the price is $2000 so far. I look up person X, and see what else he is bidding on. I see he's bidding on another car auction that ends sooner: he's only bidding $100 so far. I surmise from the other car's value that he has placed a maximum bid of at least $1000, so I bid up the price of the second car to increase his bid there without any intention of actually buying the other car. Now person X has less money to spend on the first car, and I've improved my chances for it.)

(Another scenario is that the seller in an auction would cause the buyer to loose a different auction selling a similar item, then not pay the bid. The bad seller would then rip off the other seller, while forcing the buyer to buy from his auction only.)