FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Linux file manager needed that will sum sizes of directories

DoctorBeaver
I've got Ubuntu Studio and at the moment I'm using the bog standard file manager. I often use my 2Gb USB memory stick to transfer files between PCs. However, more often than not I want to transfer an entire directory structure.

The problem is I don't know how big the structure is so I have no way of knowing whether the entire structure will fit in 1 go unless I work through the whole lot summing the sizes of files manually. That's a real pain as many of the structure have 20 or more sub-folders and hundreds of individual files.

Is there a file manager that will go through the entire structure for me and display the total number of bytes?
Fire Boar
Can't you just... right-click the folder and click "Properties"? If that doesn't work in Nautilus, try Dolphin or Konqueror (exactly the same interface in each, Konq is just bigger and has more features such as tabbed file management).
DoctorBeaver
Fire Boar wrote:
Can't you just... right-click the folder and click "Properties"?

Yes, that's how I do it at the moment. I have to write down the size of each folder as I can only see 1 at a time. If it's a large directory structure that can take quite some time and as there could be as many as 5 or 6 sub-levels, it's easy to get in a knot with it and miss something.

It would be much easier if I could pull up the parent directory and have the sub-directories listed with the sum totals of all their respective sub-directories.
SonLight
DoctorBeaver wrote:
Fire Boar wrote:
Can't you just... right-click the folder and click "Properties"?

Yes, that's how I do it at the moment. I have to write down the size of each folder as I can only see 1 at a time. If it's a large directory structure that can take quite some time and as there could be as many as 5 or 6 sub-levels, it's easy to get in a knot with it and miss something.

It would be much easier if I could pull up the parent directory and have the sub-directories listed with the sum totals of all their respective sub-directories.

But if you're moving an entire directory, simply navigate to its parent, select the target directory, and the properties window will give you the total storage for all subdirectories at all levels.

Let's say you want to move the dog, cat, and beaver direcories, which reside in Documents. You could sum them manually by viewing the Documents folder and clicking on Properties for each of them. An easier way might be to first create a temp directory called move, select cat, dog, and beaver and do cut-paste into move. If you want to be safer and you have enough room you could copy then paste, but it would take longer. At this point the Properties of "move" will show the total storage. After moving the files, you should move the files back and delete the move directory, of course.

I agree it would be convenient if you could select several folders and immediately get the total storage requirement, not just the number of items. That information could be made available, probably as a right-click option. It should not provide it automatically though, because the directories have to be scanned to get the information.
DoctorBeaver
I've just been told on another forum that Disk Usage Analyser shows the size information I want. I hadn't realised that. I've had a look and it will help greatly. I can see the sizes of all the directories in the entire structure at 1 time and then use File Manager to copy them accordingly. That is going to make life so much easier.
ianlacy
Uhhh yeah.... you can just right click on the parent directory and then click properties. The file size should be the sum of all of them.

I take it you are new to files, folders, and file managers?
DoctorBeaver
ianlacy wrote:
Uhhh yeah.... you can just right click on the parent directory and then click properties. The file size should be the sum of all of them.

I take it you are new to files, folders, and file managers?

If you class working with files, folders & file managers since 1979 new, then yes. I am, though, new to Linux. If I could be bothered to do it I could write my own file manager to do exactly what I want. But if there's already something written that will do it for me, then that's easier.

Right clicking on the parent directory only gives the total size of everything contained within it. To use that method I would have to do it for every folder at every level. At least using Disk Usage Analyser I've got all the info I need in front of me at the same time.
moofang
I'm not familiar with this 'bog' file manager you mentioned, but I am very sure the default nautilus file manager for gnome gives you the size of the ENTIRE directory contents, including subdirectory content recursively, in the properties dialogue box. I highly suspect the case is so too for most other common default file managers like konqueror and dolphin.
DoctorBeaver
moofang wrote:
... but I am very sure the default nautilus file manager for gnome gives you the size of the ENTIRE directory contents, including subdirectory content recursively, in the properties dialogue box.

Not on my system it doesn't.

I've now installed kdirstat and that does exactly what I want. Here's a screenshot of a very small structure on my PC:-

As you can see, it gives me all the information I need on 1 screen at 1 time.

Thank you all for your replies.