FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How do you like a file splitter to be?

gosphinx
Do you know a file splitter? as its name says, it splits file into many smaller chunks.I am planning to make a file splitter but i don't know many ideas how i can make it better. I am planning to make a nice interface and it can also save the file properties and data. But i think i can make it better with other nice ideas also. If you have any ideas, please share. for example you can say which new feature i can add and so on. My file splitter can currently spilt file to any size and pieces and it can also save the file properties and date.
rockacola
Why are you making a software that already exists? Are you trying to make it web-based or what?

I remember using one of them for transporting mp3 files from high school using 2 boxes (20 pieces) of 1.44 floppy disks. Internet was a rare thing back then.. Surprised
leontius
Integration with file managers and cross-platform support. (so integrate with Windows Explorer, Dolphin, Konqueror, Finder... that's a lot.)
Agent ME
I'm sure 7zip and/or Rar already supports this, cross-platform, and with compression and simple encryption options. Unless you have a really good idea on how to do this, don't bother making a new program.
Diablosblizz
Winrar supports this, but you have to put the files into a .zip or .rar to split them. If you could do that with just a file that would be pretty neat, without any compression.

Although, I don't see much use for it other than putting multiple files onto the same website and downloading them later.
Agent ME
Diablosblizz wrote:
Winrar supports this, but you have to put the files into a .zip or .rar to split them. If you could do that with just a file that would be pretty neat, without any compression.

You can set the compression level to none, but there really isn't a point in not using compression.
Arnie
I like it the way HJSplit is.
gosphinx
rockacola wrote:
Why are you making a software that already exists? Are you trying to make it web-based or what?

I remember using one of them for transporting mp3 files from high school using 2 boxes (20 pieces) of 1.44 floppy disks. Internet was a rare thing back then.. Surprised

I want to make a better quality file splitter. And there are not those much. And, I am not making Web based. I am also not making it cross platform because i don't have any idea about it. I just want to make it in win32 API and it is a Directory splitter also. I have added encryption facality also.l
omantye
I think that you must make it free so that everyone can use it. You can make it to save the file/folder (You said it is a directory splitter) properties and data/time also. And, you must make it fast. Make the user interface very cool since it is a must for nice programs.Which language are you using for developing this software? I recommend C++ since it is nice and fast. I use C++ for every of my projects but i like java too. And, I think that you must also have "Use dos style File name(8 character max)" option in your program. You can also have an option to create a batch joiner in your program. Since, you are making a directory splitter, this may be difficult. So, create a executabe (I think dos exe is nice) and attach the file information to its end so that it can join the file automatically.