FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Solaris OS is it good when compared with Linux/Windows?

cyberbuddy
i want to have knowledge and yes frankly speaking i want to see solaris API and what r the features it gives . yes the good think its open system and yes entirely based on java TECHNOLOGY SO there will no problem with security but yes i think it will be less user friendly .....yes i need ur help and suggestion about this OS and also i have heard that Solaris is being used in military system since it offers good security......
Studio Madcrow
If you're running a server, Solaris is the best. It's API is quite similar to Linux (most programs can be "ported" between the two platforms simply be recompiling them) and it has lots of features like the awesome ZFS file system that other OSes can only dream of. Even as a workstation OS, Solaris much to reccomend it. The only thing that concerns me about Solaris is the fact that hardware support is somewhat limited compared to Linux or Windows. Still, even hardware support its't TOO bad if you're a bit careful, and is getting better all the time now that Sun has finally faced the music and started paying real attention to Solaris x86.

I do want to correct you on one thing, though. Solaris is NOT written in or based entirely around Java. It's written mostly in C, just like every other major OS, and is in fact a direct descendant of Unix System V R4. The only Java you'll find in Solaris is used for a few GUI admin tools.
moofang
I'm not sure what you mean by 'open system' but Solaris is quite proprietary (OPEN Solaris on the other hand is quite another issue). My take is that while Solaris has its merits for use in critical systems, it is not quite an OS of choice for home computing right now. Even linux, with a much larger userbase, suffers immeasurably from lack of vendor support, so one can only imagine the case is worse for Solaris. The most touted features of the Solaris system, like ZFS and Dtrace, also frankly don't make any real difference to the home user.

Quote:
...the awesome ZFS file system that other OSes can only dream of.

Just a quick correction. Sun actually open sourced the ZFS file system, so there is actually already some work to port ZFS to a other platforms, linux included.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS#Platforms
Studio Madcrow
moofang wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by 'open system' but Solaris is quite proprietary (OPEN Solaris on the other hand is quite another issue). My take is that while Solaris has its merits for use in critical systems, it is not quite an OS of choice for home computing right now. Even linux, with a much larger userbase, suffers immeasurably from lack of vendor support, so one can only imagine the case is worse for Solaris. The most touted features of the Solaris system, like ZFS and Dtrace, also frankly don't make any real difference to the home user.

Quote:
...the awesome ZFS file system that other OSes can only dream of.

Just a quick correction. Sun actually open sourced the ZFS file system, so there is actually already some work to port ZFS to a other platforms, linux included.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS#Platforms

ZFS does have features that could be useful to a home user as is evidenced by the fact that Apple is working to port it to Mac OS X, though I'll admit that Dtrace is only really useful for developers and other nerds. With that said, I specifically said that Solaris isn't the best choice for desktop use, but that it rocks for servers. Also, Solaris has very few proprietary components left. It's no more "closed" or proprietary that the average Linux distro.
Arnie
Depends what you want to use it for.

Imagine Solaris written completely in Java - what speed! Laughing
mehulved
Depends on your level of knowledge and what you want out of your OS. There are certain features where Solaris stands out whereas certain other places it looses out.
Then again, it depends on your point of view. There are many who consider ZFS a boon, but there are also some who consider it a sheer waste.
And it goes on such. YMMV, so the best way is to give things a shot and see how they go. If they work for you great, if not look at other OS's. Remember after all it's not just about the tool, it's about the skill. if the person is not skilled enough, even the best of tools seem mediocre in their hands. Whereas skilled people can make bad tools look good too. Definitely, a skilled craftsman can do so much more with the right tool.
So, you rather need to check what fits you the best and try expanding your skill set with what you like, then you can slowly start looking at other fields and learning and mastering other tools.