FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Internet Cafes

deanhills
I love Internet Cafes. The dingier they are, the better for me. When I travel that is one of the first things I like to do, to scout for "my perfect" Internet Cafe. Is there someone else who has a fettish like this? I am currently in an Internet Cafe that is crammed space-wise, using about every spare square inch of space. It is in a shopping area frequented by Filipino people in an old shopping district of Dubai. The ambience is fantastic, congenial, and uplifting. Which is amazing for me, as usually I do not have a good tolerance for noise, but this is a nice kind of noise, along droning wavelenghts. The computer is in good working order. Not slow, but not super fast. On LAN high-speed internet connection. the keyboard has seen better days, but is clean, and alphabet letters have been posted over the keys for English, as they must have been fading. Every Internet station is enclosed with two sides with advertisements on them for Western Union. And my station has a huge number as well. Extremely well organized! I really like coming here when I am in Dubai, as it is fun and a nice experience. Sort of along clubby lines. In Vancouver I had two Internet Cafes in July/August, much more expensive, but also well organized. The one was owned by a Korean Family, and they were extremely proud of the equipment, all of which was state of the art and extremely well organized. The other Internet Cafe was part of a computer equipment sales and repair shop.

Would love to hear about other's experiences with Internet Cafes.
Sphaerenkern
Since I have a MacBook, I usually look for free Hotspots (I mean... free on purpose Wink). When I have to visit an Internet Café, I try to use my MacBook there.
Personally, I don't like Internet Cafés - the worst thing of them is, as I experienced it, that the cliche, smelling felt-hair WoW (or any WoW rip-off) player sits there instead of sitting in front of his computer at home Very Happy
gugusm
Well, I've never been in Internet Cafe, so I can't tell anything about them. I just don't need them at all Wink
zyd666
when i had been 2 turkey
it cost 15 minutes 2USD
30 minutes 4USD
1 Hour 6USD
too much !!~!
deanhills
it's really cheap in Dubai. Vancouver however was relatively expensive, and taught me to be more productive and economical with my computer time.
airh3ad
More people have been asking me whether the Internet Café business is still a good investment in here the Philippines. it was a lucrative industry back in the early year when broadband connectivity was scarce and unlimited dial-up service still costs Php5,000 a month.now the net café business has even expanded to online gaming to which most net café owners admit rakes in the bigger share of their monthly revenues. imagine internet cafe helps a lot here mostly the students for there research and other matters for 15php per hour and 5php for printing , the average users in the internet cafe is half the population in there place according to other people.good buiseness anaway my first jobs is to manage internet cafe ill been working for 2 years it was great and big experience to that.
snowynight
The internet cafe is something different from the computer on your desktop. I mean people are there to enjoy the smelly atmosphere and the noisy environment. The price is not a problem, because I know there are a lot of internet cafes around, and the price will be very low in some communities.
But i love to play computer games or surf the internet at home.
crimson_aria
I used to go to internet cafes a lot, years ago. now, i only go when i don't have any options left. they're fine. but surfing at home is so much better.
ptfrances
There is very few Internet Cafe here in France Mad
apple
when I was just introduced to the internet I used cafes...since I got my own system at home...I cannot imagine using a cafe. cause they hardly clean like the mouse and keyboard and there are sooo many users!
missdixy
I've never used a cafe before since I have a PC at home and a laptop while at school, so I've never really had the need. I heard that around me they charge a lot of money per hour though.
guissmo
Internet Cafe's here are more like "gaming sites". You'd look like a dweeb if you're searching Google while everyone else is playing WoW or something.
kirii
Internet cafe is mainly visited by those LAN gamers..
I always visit it too:)
jmlworld
Well, I don't use Internet cafes for several reasons:

- Internet Cafes here are not secure enough, there are malicious malware in their systems as well as there are trojans ready to trace your data.

- Internet cafes are bit expensive, so they'll eat your money in minutes.

But sometimes, Internet cafes are useful, when:

- You forget to pay your internet bills and the ISP decides to suspend your subscription.

- You are traveling and there's no wireless connection available or you are out site the ISP reachable area so you cannot use your dialup.

- You don't have internet connection at all, but you are avid internet surfer.
iyepes
I have used Internet Cafes when I travel to another city, since I need to do something and I can't count with my own connection. I think the perfect Internet Cafe to me is the nearest to the hotel or to the place I have to go.

One thing I've never tried is using public internet at airports of shopping malls. Usually I'm so tired and willing to flight, that I have no much intention to use my laptop. Or I'm on shopping stage so I don't bring my laptop at all.

I know Internet Cafes are unsecure, but, I don't do bank transactions from them, and, who could want to take my e-mail password? to see the junk I receive everyday? ha, ha, ha.

However I always check the browser doesn't store mi login and password. I don't care much about my e-mail accounts, but I prefer not giving it so easy to anyone.
Helios
I don't really like going to Internet Cafe's when I'm on a trip.
I used one when I was on vacation in Russia, because I had something important to do that I forgot before the trip.

I work with a computer all the time, so I prefer not to use it on my vacations Razz
Pikokola
I sometimes still visit internet cafes.
Here, in my country, lot's of internet cafes exist. the cost is about US$0.3~0.6/hour. Sadly the bad is terrible, It's not uncommon that you got 7~15kBps download speed....
b4r4t
Few days ago I was smending a lot of time on internet c@fes ... I lost lot of school hours just sitting there (even that I had my own PC and internet at home)... but now ... I don't have a time for this ... maybe it's because of my age now Smile
Crazy_Canuck
ptfrances wrote:
There is very few Internet Cafe here in France Mad

Probably because you have real cafes, where people go out and actually talk to one another.
TurtleShell
When I lived in London (for about 2 months in college) the hostel where I stayed was right next door to an internet cafe called Ehello. Loved it! The people who owned it were really nice... I remember sending many drunk emails home to my family, after spending several hours at Bootsy Brogan's (also down the street), drinking pints of guiness w/ my friends.
gr8inferno
Internet Cafe? hmm there;re not big here. well We have Starbucks.
TurtleShell
They're not actually cafes, half the time. They don't sell coffee, they sell time at a computer with access to the Internet.
tony
I like internet cafes when they are not pricey and the computers are good Smile I know of a good one in Cambodia :p
loonix
lmao how do you beat off to p0rn in an internet café?

:p
amperx
cafes here are so cheap already, its like 5php an hour, wth, but still i like surfing at home than outside
deanhills
TurtleShell wrote:
They're not actually cafes, half the time. They don't sell coffee, they sell time at a computer with access to the Internet.

Thanks that is correct. They may have a fridge on the one side with some water and pop in it, and perhaps some crisps. The one I am using in Dubai does not have space for anything. Every available cm is used for a station. A tight fit, but comfy and nice.

I think the places that do sell coffee are more on a wireless basis where you bring your laptop and can play on your own computer.
psycosquirrel
The internet cafes here in the USA are usually for online gaming.

Internet connectivity is so common here now; I get speeds of nearly 1000kbps down and 700kbps up for $20 a month at home.

As for mobile access, I use the global "linksys" network for internet on the go. Razz Just pull into a neighborhood, and sweep for unencrypted networks, connect, temporarily botch their connection so that no one else can see you, and enjoy!
chatrack
Here there are 4 cafe. I Like those one with more space and less rush around.
chatrack
chatrack
Fatality
I have been to or used an Internet Cafe, before i have thenet at the house here I used to go to the local library for my internet access. Now I have high speed in the home so there is no need to go anywhere else
deanhills
I'm in a very interesting Internet Cafe tonight. I have not been to Dubai Internet Cafes for a while, and it seems to be changing completely in that they now have work stations which have been camped off with high enough door to fully encase the work area. There is not a spare inch inside the station, but one has your privacy, I even have an old and battered bedside lamp I could use for extra lighting if I needed it, very dusty, but in good working condition. Interesting. There are earphones (which I don't think I will touch), a clamped on camera probably for Internet phoning, and the keyboard has been totally worn, with letters pasted on, but in excellent working order. I've never seen a keyboard yet with "sleep","wake" and "power" buttons. Chair is OK. Internet is really fast, so good value under one US Dollar for an hour! I'll probably need to clean my hands when I leave here, but still wonderful that one can feel so very safe around here, compared with similar environments in other large cities of the world.
peaceupnorth
When I lived in Mexico there were so many little cafes... sometimes definitely dingy, always little hole in the wall, mom&pop sort of things. In my hometown there's only one internet cafe sort of thing- but it is mostly used by gamers, and it smells like really strong deep fried junk food down there. Not the type of place I would like to visit.

Computers are addictive. So of COURSE it is good business haha.

Add games to the mix and you have a good industry... except where Wi-Fi and laptops are everywhere. Like here where I live.
deanhills
peaceupnorth wrote:
When I lived in Mexico there were so many little cafes... sometimes definitely dingy, always little hole in the wall, mom&pop sort of things. In my hometown there's only one internet cafe sort of thing- but it is mostly used by gamers, and it smells like really strong deep fried junk food down there. Not the type of place I would like to visit.

Computers are addictive. So of COURSE it is good business haha.

Add games to the mix and you have a good industry... except where Wi-Fi and laptops are everywhere. Like here where I live.
Gaming is big stuff all over the UAE. They have separate and dedicated places for that, usually in the malls, and rarely of the dingy variety. Equipment is always of the very best and newest. Problems have arrived here too where children get completely addicted to games. Good though for the summer time when no one can go outdoors when it is so hot over here. Anything to do with children always has to be of the highest quality and premium is placed on their safety and security, hence, why so far, I have not seen an Internet Cafe version for games yet, they are usually found in high-class establishments.
Parkour_Jarrod
Here in Australia we don't have many internet cafe's i rarely see them but id love them, the closest we have is free wi-fi at McDonalds
Crinoid
Not Internet cafe goer myself, but always wondered what makes people with internet access go somewhere else and pay there too for the same Razz
If one has some work to do, ever do some research or read, this requires concentration and for me is better be done in quietest place at home, in the middle of the night, when nobody distracts... But maybe it's just me.
standready
Never used an internet cafe. On the road, internet is usually available in my room if not I hit the local library.
mattyj
Ive never used an internet cafe

I have mobile internet for a reason Smile
lanalhueairsoft
en algunos cyber son malisimos los cafes XD