FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

USB 3.0 SuperSpeed

misterXY
Now, when l first thought of USB 3.0, l thought it would be released next or even the year later, would be released commercially, well now l'm wrong.
It's being shown next Monday (Nov17th l believe) and don't know when it'll be released, but it's here.

Now like every technology, we have a problem.
Transfer speeds are 336mb/s... how many thumbdrives will you fill? Alot.
Externals HDD will also be an issue since most wouldn't do much because of the performance of today's standard RPM will make little difference many skeptic.

Now what's your intake on it?
Lost the link on SlashDot but l found one over at LifeHacker

http://lifehacker.com/5086167/usb-30-to-transfer-25gb-in-70-seconds
RiCtee
I read this the other day - http://thefutureofthings.com/news/5739/25gb-in-70-seconds-with-usb-3-0.html I actually first heard about USB 3.0 at the start of the year and I must say I was stunned. 25GB in 70 seconds?? That's impressive!! I don't think that amount of bandwidth will be in general use for a while (maybe some heavy HD movie backup-ers might).
Jaan
very very cool. i can't wait!!
Diablosblizz
Dear, thank god! That was a long wait, almost 9 years! That's great news though, means that external hard drives will be faster, audio device syncing will be faster, and anything else that's USB!

Great share, thanks!
ocalhoun
Will it be backwards compatible like USB 2 was?
fadirocks
ocalhoun wrote:

yes as I read somewhere
misterXY
fadirocks wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

yes as I read somewhere

it be very stupid if it wasn't, now l have a running 1.1, good luck for me there lol
rockacola
misterXY wrote:

Externals HDD will also be an issue since most wouldn't do much because of the performance of today's standard RPM will make little difference many skeptic.

Just so you know, I'm using a 20GB harddrive on USB1.1 on regular base, and I'm still fine with it Surprised
psycosquirrel
I'm glad they they are finally updating. 1.x was slow as heck, 2.x has been great, but I can't wait for better transfer speeds. Awesome.
Magicman
Thats a really fast port. Now the many devices which connect using a USB will have to get faster for there to be an even more appreciable speed difference.
kirii
Wow its extremely fast..
Hope that I can buy this products soon
misterXY
kirii wrote:
Wow its extremely fast..
Hope that I can buy this products soon

Commercial 2009, people like us, 2010 Sad
Idoru
We live in a wonderous time Very Happy
Will be nice to get some more speed, but then again, still hasn't upgraded the computers to SATA...
But - it's nice to have the possibility.
misterXY
Idoru wrote:
Will be nice to get some more speed, but then again, still hasn't upgraded the computers to SATA...

Ditto until my motherboard burnt two weeks ago, now owning a computer again would be a nice possibility but not anytime soon Sad
Idoru
misterXY wrote:
Idoru wrote:

Ditto until my motherboard burnt two weeks ago, now owning a computer again would be a nice possibility but not anytime soon Sad

Doh! That's a bummer! Sorry for your sake. You must turn it around, try to get the money together,
and see
it as an oppertunity. Buy the new one in parts, use the ones you can from your old one, and get possibilities
to upgrade to nice new feauters. Smile

Don't want to sound wrong here, just positiv thinking. The DDR2, for one, are both better and cheaper. Also,
fresh bridges and a CPU that can handle some of the nice applications out there. It makes a difference.
And, to not go totaly O.T, USB 3 isn't to bad, is it?

Best of luck with your unwanted upgrading. Still, parts hasn't been as cheap as now ever, with this huge economic
situation we have.
misterXY
Idoru wrote:
misterXY wrote:
Idoru wrote:

Doh! That's a bummer! Sorry for your sake. You must turn it around, try to get the money together,
and see
it as an oppertunity. Buy the new one in parts, use the ones you can from your old one, and get possibilities
to upgrade to nice new feauters. Smile

Don't want to sound wrong here, just positiv thinking. The DDR2, for one, are both better and cheaper. Also,
fresh bridges and a CPU that can handle some of the nice applications out there. It makes a difference.
And, to not go totaly O.T, USB 3 isn't to bad, is it?

Best of luck with your unwanted upgrading. Still, parts hasn't been as cheap as now ever, with this huge economic
situation we have.

Thanks for your support, the pc is so older its ddr not ddr2 lol. But!
you're right, its a good time to buy some parts and make a built Very Happy
And since they're making usb3.0, might aswell get parts to support it asap instead of current stuff.
misterXY
Has anyone heard back from any manufacturers about USB 3.0? It's 2010 now...
lightwate
misterXY wrote:
Has anyone heard back from any manufacturers about USB 3.0? It's 2010 now...

yes i heard that as of march 2010, only one company has started making usb 3.0 products, and we're still waiting for intel and the likes to include usb3.0 in their motherboards. hopefully, by 2011 it'll universal.

and yes, it will be backwards compatible with usb2.0 because the only difference is the new connectors on the opposite side of the current ones. Smile

i can't wait for that 4.8Gbps Very Happy
dazzsser
I second that motion! In real world speeds 4.8Gbps(Gigabits per second) is actually around 600MB/s(MegaBytes Second)
thnn
My Gigabtye GA-P55A-UD3R has USB3.0 support
ProwerBot
I'm thinking about building a new computer. I would definately buy a mobo that supports USB 3.0 so then once 3.0 devices are more popular I'll be able to use them (: