FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wii Music

Nameless
It's being released in a few days here in Australia, and it's causing me much mental trauma. On the one hand, everything I logically know about this game tells me that it's awful (the selection of songs, the sound quality, no real sense of progress in gameplay ...) and that I will get very little value out of it before growing bored compared to any of the other games I have or plan to purchase for the Wii ...

And yet ...

From what I've seen on YouTube it just looks fun, damn it.

What is a casual, yet cynical, gamer to do? Laughing
Ankhanu
You're essentially right Razz
I picked it up after the North American release, and was a bit underwhelmed by the experience. There's a lot less freedom in how music is created than I'd have liked, and controls are a little iffy, but it is kinda fun. It's not much of a single player game, but the fun comes from trying to play with other people. The selection of songs isn't fantastic, but it grows as you play. There are a few modes of play as well, to keep things going for a bit, but yeah, it's not going to be a particularly long term gaming experience.
Kunkstar7
It seems to me like it is a childish attempt at trying to enter the music games scene. It might fascinate little kids for a bit yeah, but for a more serious player, I think you probably are much better off getting a more,(lack of good word) weightier........, game. If you want a music game, and you don't already have GH:WT or RB2, I suggest getting one of them,they would more than likely give you a lot better value for your money. I for one can play GH days on end Razz
missdixy
Interesting, had never heard of this until I read this. Just googled/youtubed it....and it looks fun! yet another reason for me to want the Wii >.<
weableandbob
it looks..............odd, and not too much fun. give me a new zelda or metroid and i'll be happy
msfuture
Yea wiimucics is bad like hell.
The new tv commercial likes good but it isnt.
I hope they release The conduit soon thats a much better game than all those crappy agmes that coming out. The music dont even is good. And the gameplay isnt even good and long.
Diablosblizz
It looks interesting, although it's probably just like Rock Band or Guitar hero, it will soon enough get boring after you've played all the songs and I suppose beaten the game. Like weableandbob said, give me Zelda and I'll be much happier, although I've already beaten it. Sad

Buying Wind Waker soon! Very Happy
Nameless
Diablosblizz wrote:
It looks interesting, although it's probably just like Rock Band or Guitar hero,
Kunkstar7 wrote:
If you want a music game, and you don't already have GH:WT or RB2, I suggest getting one of them,

Okay, bearing in mind I've not yet played any of said games ... Guitar Hero, Rock Band and such really aren't that similar games to Wii Music. The core gameplay is somewhat different (WM places more focus on creativity rather than success/failure), and the aesthetics are completely different. WM is ... really more of a toy than a game, would be the best way to describe it. Guitar Hero never really appealed to me that much, but even with a few obvious flaws Wii Music does.

So anyway, I bought it online and I'm waiting for it to arrive ... with a copy of Okami, just in case. Laughing
eday2010
Nameless wrote:
... everything I logically know about this game tells me that it's awful (the selection of songs, the sound quality, no real sense of progress in gameplay ...) and that I will get very little value out of it before growing bored compared to any of the other games I have or plan to purchase for the Wii ...

And yet ...

From what I've seen on YouTube it just looks fun, damn it.

I share this sentiment. However, I think I would become bored of it in a short time even though it looks fun. I can only fake-play a musical instrument for so long. I see it being something my brat would enjoy when he is a bit older. So I may end up getting it at some point.
Diablosblizz
Nameless wrote:
Okay, bearing in mind I've not yet played any of said games ... Guitar Hero, Rock Band and such really aren't that similar games to Wii Music. The core gameplay is somewhat different (WM places more focus on creativity rather than success/failure), and the aesthetics are completely different.

Well, I didn't mean they were identical, I was referring to the fact that after a while they get boring because you've done everything possible.
Magicman
From what I've seen, Wii Music doesn't look that great aside from the drums feature. I suppose it could keep some people occupied for a few hours but that's about it. I've never actually played the game though so I can't really judge it.
Ankhanu
Magicman wrote:
From what I've seen, Wii Music doesn't look that great aside from the drums feature. I suppose it could keep some people occupied for a few hours but that's about it. I've never actually played the game though so I can't really judge it.

The drums (without the balance pad) are actually pretty frustrating and one of my least favorite aspects of the game. The experience may be somewhat different if you have Wii Fit and the balance pad, but without it, the drums kinda blow.
Diablosblizz
Interesting Ankhanu, how does the balance pad have to do with drums? Please explain.
Ankhanu
It's another input. When you play real drum kits, you coordinate all of your limbs to make a beat, your feet controlling the bass drum and hi-hat cymbals, your arms hitting everything else. I would imaging that the balance board is used for foot control.
Starrfoxx
The game looks like fun. I'm planning on getting that as a "Santa" gift to our family for Xmas. I'm just happy to see another game that uses your Mii's.
eday2010
I'm going to try and rent this game soon to see if my 2.5-year-old enjoys it. He likes listening to music. Maybe he will enjoy pretending to play it.