FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I can't delete a Folder created on my Desktop! HELP pl.

nam0521
I am unable to delete a folder that in created actually months back on my Desktop. It some how just pops back evey time I refresh the screen after deleting the Folder, the funnier part is that i tried renaming the Folder, but the renamed folder got deleted and the old folder again appeared on the my Desktop, i Guess its some Bug with Vista,,,,, can anyone please suggest me some solution to this, would be greatful. Question Thanks
moofang
It's possible that you have a disk corruption problem. Try running chkdsk on it and see if it helps?
Peterssidan
Sounds weird. Have you tried to delete the file from the file explorer?
mehulved
nam0521 wrote:
I am unable to delete a folder that in created actually months back on my Desktop. It some how just pops back evey time I refresh the screen after deleting the Folder, the funnier part is that i tried renaming the Folder, but the renamed folder got deleted and the old folder again appeared on the my Desktop, i Guess its some Bug with Vista,,,,, can anyone please suggest me some solution to this, would be greatful. Question Thanks

Have you tried deleting from DOS prompt and seeing what happens?
nam0521
ya i got the disk check run its appears to be fine, and also tried to delete the file from explorer but comes back again on my desktop soon after refreshing the screen....

Rolling Eyes
mehulved
nam0521 wrote:
ya i got the disk check run its appears to be fine, and also tried to delete the file from explorer but comes back again on my desktop soon after refreshing the screen....

Rolling Eyes

What type of file/folder is it?
nam0521
Its just any other kind of Folder, its empty and doesn't have any document in it.

I am not sure if i can manage the DOS deletion, would be great if you could specify how it goes. I have tried deleting the folder in safe mode but it some how comes back and kind of auto recreates itself.

Thanks Confused
jackill
Maybe try unlocker: http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Or maybe it's related to some virus/trojan?
Fire Boar
I would suggest borrowing a friend who has a GNU/Linux CD on him, and booting up with that in the drive. You can fix pretty much anything with a GNU/Linux bootable disk, without having to install anything. Disk in, live session, mount the hard disk, remove the file, unmount and reboot. Easy.

Well, mounting might take some effort. Best get that friend to do it for you.
moofang
Fire Boar wrote:
I would suggest borrowing a friend who has a GNU/Linux CD on him, and booting up with that in the drive. You can fix pretty much anything with a GNU/Linux bootable disk, without having to install anything. Disk in, live session, mount the hard disk, remove the file, unmount and reboot. Easy.

Well, mounting might take some effort. Best get that friend to do it for you.

Seconded Wink

Also, worse come to worse you can just fall back on the only true cure-all known for windows - backup and reformat Very Happy
ianlacy
So it could be...

1. A Vista Problem
Possible Solution: Try to delete the file from the command prompt.

2. Virus
Possible Solutions: Virus scanner or reformat if needed

3. Dunno
Possible Solution: Try the GNU / Linux...its a wonderful utility

4. Still Dunno?
Possible Solution: "Cure all" by reformat.

I don't know the DOS command for deleteing from the prompt but I'm sure you could google it. I'm sure its probably similar to this...

$command $file

Hope this helps to summarize things...
-Ian
moofang
ianlacy wrote:

I don't know the DOS command for deleteing from the prompt but I'm sure you could google it.

Its 'del'. You do
Code:
del filename

Replacing 'filename' with the name of the file to delete of course.

I highly doubt that would help in any way though. The command prompt is no longer a real DOS prompt and has become simply a command line interface to Windows since Windows ME.
angelinazatex_77
http://longpathtool.com/
gaconex
jackill wrote:
Maybe try unlocker: http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Or maybe it's related to some virus/trojan?

agree!!!
sysna
one suggestion is to try file deleter softwares which will first unlock the file and then delete it, but anyway if it is locked by a virus i think you should use unlockers in safe mode to be able to delete that.

But i know a better way, use a linux live cd (like ubuntu) then using it go to your drives and delete the file and folder you don't need, this is the magic of linux Very Happy .
jmraker
Some ideas
You can check the directory dates, if you delete the folder and it's creation date is seconds later, a background process really wants that directory to be there

From the command line you can delete the folder you can make a batch file that deletes the directory and then sees if it exists probably faster than the background process.

You could try making a batch file that deletes the directory and create a file with that name. If it works it the background program would need to know that it has to delete the file before it can create the directory.

You could use the sysinternals process monitor to log filesystem activity
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645

When there's files in the directory, are they deleted when you try to delete the directory? Does it go in the recycle bin like other folders?
jdelfire
Regardless if you use linux, ubuntu, unlocker or any file manager methods you do might not help...

This is definitely a virus issue... unless you get rid of the virus that thing will keep regenerating....

Deleting the folder is not the issue... what regenerates the folder is the source of your problem...
lightningleo
jdelfire wrote:
Regardless if you use linux, ubuntu, unlocker or any file manager methods you do might not help...

This is definitely a virus issue... unless you get rid of the virus that thing will keep regenerating....

Deleting the folder is not the issue... what regenerates the folder is the source of your problem...

~YEAH man, I agree with you but plz see the post date!
nivinjoy
@ nam0521 - So how did you solve the problem atlast..? Share with all of us so that if such weird experience happens to us we can just follow your steps and save our system.. Please share the solution here..!!