FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Redirect Problems - 50FRIH reward

jylan
I'm trying to do a .htaccess for my blog, which I recently moved from yeppooninfo.com/articles to yeppooninfo.com.

I would do a redirect like "Redirect 301 /articles/ http://www.yeppooninfo.com/", but that will redirect my wp-content folder (which is still in the articles folder) as well, creating 404 errors for images. I'm currently setup so that /articles/tag/, /articles/page/, and /articles/archives are redirecting to the root directory, but a lot of links are pointing to yeppooninfo.com/articles which doesn't redirect anywere.

As I've explained I can't use the simple redirect method to do that because it will affect other things as well.

I'm guessing there's a way just to redirect /articles to yeppooninfo.com, without affecting lower folders. Maybe using the more complex Mod_Rewrite rules? If anyone could post a solution to this I'll give $50FRIH Smile.
imagefree
yeppooninfo.com/articles to yeppooninfo.com.
use this: (in .htaccess)

Code:
RewriteEngine on

RewriteRule ^articles/(.+)$ /$1 [R,301]
RewriteRule ^articles/$ /index.php [R,301]
RewriteRule ^articles$ /index.php [R,301]
#use whatever you want in place of index.php, or simply remove it, the code will work.

i dont understant how your URLs (redirecting and destination) look like, if you can give an example URL of both, i can provide a better redirection code.

You also need to have mod_rewrite enabled. Just lookup it in apache config file.
jylan
Hi imagefree,

Thanks for the code, but its giving me 500 server errors. I think mod_rewrite is enabled because Wordpress is rewriting urls.
Star Wars Fanatic
imagefree wrote:
yeppooninfo.com/articles to yeppooninfo.com.
use this: (in .htaccess)

Code:
RewriteEngine on

RewriteRule ^articles/(.+)$ /$1 [R,301]
RewriteRule ^articles/$ /index.php [R,301]
RewriteRule ^articles$ /index.php [R,301]
#use whatever you want in place of index.php, or simply remove it, the code will work.

i dont understant how your URLs (redirecting and destination) look like, if you can give an example URL of both, i can provide a better redirection code.

You also need to have mod_rewrite enabled. Just lookup it in apache config file.

I think there is a bug in your code...
Try this:

Code:
RewriteEngine on

RewriteRule ^articles/(.+).php$ /$1 [R=301]
RewriteRule ^articles/$ /index.php [R=301]
RewriteRule ^articles$ /index.php [R=301]

Note that it will redirect only php files, and leave all other file type alone.
jylan
Thanks Star Wars Fanatic, that works just fine.

Would it be alright if I split the FRIH up with imagefree as well as you? Because he did post the original code Smile.
Star Wars Fanatic
jylan wrote:
Thanks Star Wars Fanatic, that works just fine.

Would it be alright if I split the FRIH up with imagefree as well as you? Because he did post the original code Smile.

I don't need the Frih$, thanks though. Glad I could help.
jylan
Ok then SWF, thanks for your help anyway!