FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Orange - Free game made by me

catscratches
ORANGE

Info
Orange is a musical arcade game developed by me. It's completely free to play, you don't even need to register!

The game features arcade play where the enemies spawn to the song you choose. It can be any song on your harddrive! When you've finished a song, see if you can reach the online highscore tables for the song you played.

This is an entry for the TIA Gaming Competition.

Controls
W,A,S,D or Arrow Keys - Move
Left Mouse Button - Shoot

Homepage
http://www.orangegame.co.nr/

Download
YoYoGames
Solidfiles
MediaFire
WillHostForFood
LukeakaDanish
Quite a good game!

The gameplay could be more varied however, and in my opinion it doesn't really seem like anything happens in beat with the music.

Inspired by AudioSurf by any chance?
Nameless
Yeah, it's an interesting concept, but I'm not noticing any correlation between the music and the enemy spawning.
liamkincaid
COOL
JinTenshi
interesting stuff. im guessing the monster spawns when there's a bass hit. or maybe it's just my imagination. has potential and must have been inspired by audiosurf and the likes. ;D Good job and all the best to your competition.
Faraz
Cool concept. Good luck.
Tphilakone
Oh good job keep it up man !
liamkincaid
congratilations! Very Happy
filesharing
how long did it take to write "Orange" ?
catscratches
It took about 40 days of spare time. I guess I could have made it much faster if I'd been working effectively though (most of the time went to playing the game over and over again).

About Audiosurf:
Yes, it's heavily inspired by Audiosurf. What I wanted to do was basically a game that solved Audiosurf's (in my opinion) greatest problem.
Audiosurf is, i.m.o., supposed to be a casual game. Unfortunately, it takes several minutes to start up (at least for me with my bad computer). After starting it up, I'm playing about 1-2 songs. This means that the loading time is pretty much the same as the play time.
What I wanted to do was a musical casual game that could start instantly (or at least as fast as possible). I think I succeeded as it just takes about 5-7 seconds to load the game (on my bad computer where AudioSurf takes around 5-7 minutes to load). However since everything is generated run-time instead of analyzing the song before starting, this impacts the engine's preciseness.
LukeakaDanish
In my opinion the biggest problem with audiosurf is the lack of online competitive multiplayer gameplay. I would love to be able to race against my friends...

Perhaps that could inspire further dev. on your game Smile

I think audiosurf uses the bass notes to figure out the rythm...at least thats what the track usually seems to "mold" after - perhaps analyzing the base line could give you some interesting features for your game?

Good luck Cool
msfuture
Nice game.
My compliments

Is this your first game?
catscratches
No, I've been developing hobby games for a couple of years now. (Most of them shouldn't really be called games though.)
isranet
niceeeeeeee
i think you can make money of this games.

how long did it took you ?
catscratches
isranet wrote:
niceeeeeeee
i think you can make money of this games.

how long did it took you ?
No, I can't.

I'm using FMOD, buying a license for releasing a commercial game costs $100. Since I use mp3s I also need a game development license for $2500. I don't think I'll make more than (or even close to) $2600...